just when most programs finally work with Snow Leopard...

Here comes Lion...

Analysts and people in the know expect that very little will be broken when we upgrade to Lion. It also needs to be noted that very few things were broken with Snow Leopard. ProTools was a biggie but Digi did have ProTools compatibility in record time, for Digi.

I was very impressed with everything I saw in the Apple presentation today. The statistics on the success of the company (and I'm not talking about dollars and cents) and the stellar adoption of Apple products by the millions, is truly staggering. I know a lot of people say it's all about the hardware, the sleek lines, the industrial design (the sometimes annoying lack of buttons, form over function), but when you watch the presentation about iLife '11 software suite (software free with every new Mac) it is truly amazing software. No other company has made such elegantly simple yet incredibly powerful software available to the everyday regular computer user.

OSX Lion isn't due out until Summer 2011, so I think the software companies have more than enough time to release some updates. This isn't a big deal.

And hey, how 'bout those new laptops? Full boot in less than :15 seconds, and the small one weighs only 2.3 lbs.  It's almost their version of a netbook. These will be great for cart use (with an external DVD writer).

144119-10mba_fam_front_500.jpg

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html

--Marc W.

And hey, how 'bout those new laptops? Full boot in less than :15 seconds, and the small one weighs only 2.3 lbs.  It's almost their version of a netbook. These will be great for cart use (with an external DVD writer).

144119-10mba_fam_front_500.jpg

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html

--Marc W.

I think the smaller 11.5" screen MacBook Air can certainly be considered Apple's version of a netbook. It is exactly what I was hoping for and with a USB port and creative use of external peripherals it could be very useful.

The other thing mentioned during the Apple event today was the App Store for the Mac. I thought the demo of how one would purchase and install Pages, for example (Apple's page layout and word processing program) was brilliant! The hope is that all the developers for the Mac will put there stuff up on the App Store which will make the purchase, installation and upgrade process easier than ever before. I continue to be pleased with the ease with which Mac users can install programs compared to Windows users. I have watched many of my Windows using friends install programs on their machines and it always seems to be such a big deal. Mac users get a taste of this every time we have to install something from companies like Adobe that still refuse to use proper Apple install routines. I don't know why they do that.

IMac users get a taste of this every time we have to install something from companies like Adobe that still refuse to use proper Apple install routines. I don't know why they do that.

Man, that's very, very high on my list of pet peeves. I really hate the non-standard installs and updates that Adobe uses (and sometimes Microsoft as well). Makes me cRaZy.

I agree, Apple's installs and upgrades generally work great, except for the "double-boot" sometimes required for OS upgrades. Apple has an entire book devoted to Human User Interface Guidelines (including how to approach installs and updates), and I really wish more software companies would read it and follow it.

--Marc W.

I'm a little shocked by the small size of the SSD on the entry-level unit.  Perhaps this was a cost consideration, but the option for a 256GB drive comes at the price of a $1600 machine, and is not available at any price in the smaller laptop.

But the 11" screen is what I have been waiting for.  Very nice!

And loving the USB on each side.  Smart.

And what do they mean by storage temperature max of 113F/45C?  That's not unheard of in my neck of the woods.

I think the smaller 11.5" screen MacBook Air can certainly be considered Apple's version of a netbook. It is exactly what I was hoping for and with a USB port and creative use of external peripherals it could be very useful.

The new small Air looks nice.  Glad they added another USB port. so it will be slightly more useful  But still no SDHC RAM slot on the small one.

For reference I just bought an MSI Windows 7 Netbook with similar specs.  Same exact HD screen AMD 1.6 GH processor and ATI 3200 Graphics. It weighs a little more at 3.3 lbs is not quite as sleek and thin, but has a 6 cell battery and 250 GB Hard drive 2 GB Ram SDHC slot 3 USB ports full size VGA out and Normal size HDMI output 10/100/1000 Network all built in. Plus the Netcam, & 80211.n wifi On sale at Fry's till Thursday for $299.  I could buy 3 of these for the price of one Apple 11.6" Air.

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=227

However it is not thin enough to slice bread like the apple.

----Courtney

I could buy 3 of these for the price of one Apple 11.6" Air.

----Courtney

...and you probably will. No question that you can get way more for your money in terms of power, features and function with hundreds of Windows equipped portables, but you know it's still Microsoft Windows and for me (and evidently an exponentially rising number of people) that's the deal breaker. Even if your netbook was $100. I wouldn't want it.

BTW is the Air with under-clocked CPU again?

...and you probably will. No question that you can get way more for your money in terms of power, features and function with hundreds of Windows equipped portables, but you know it's still Microsoft Windows and for me (and evidently an exponentially rising number of people) that's the deal breaker. Even if your netbook was $100. I wouldn't want it.

BTW is the Air with under-clocked CPU again?

Yes, it looks like the new MacBook Air is still crippled with a bad processor choice. Several articles have been written about this. Below you can read one excerpt from Ars Technica:

When Intel unveiled the Arrandale ULV parts for ultraportables a few months back, it was obvious that they were not destined for the Macbook Air. The problem wasn’t so much the CPU part of Arrandale — even though the ULV variant is indeed deficient in the cache and clockspeed departments when compared to the Core 2 Duo — the problem is the GPU.

The multicore GPU integrated into the NVIDIA 320M handily spanks the (admittedly improved) Intel integrated graphics glued onto the Core i-series processors. And it’s also compatible with OpenCL, something Intel has yet to support in its IGPs. Apple argued that the improved graphics power of the 320M was more important than improved CPU processing power when designing the recent 13-inch MacBook Pro update — that same logic (though you may disagree with the decision) still applies here.

That’s not the only problem. The dual-chip packages are considerably larger than the small-outline packages for the low-voltage Core 2 Duos originally introduced on the first MacBook Air. Even with the integrated northbridge and GPU, Arrandale processors still require a separate controller. The combination simply couldn’t fit on the MacBook Air’s minuscule logic board. Instead of giving up room to shoehorn in updated processors, Apple instead chose to improve the MacBook Air’s battery capacity. With seven hours of promised life without any need for an external battery, it can be argued that this is a useful trade-off.

Finally, we have to consider the 11-inch MacBook Air. While its bigger brother offers a 1.86-GHz or 2.13-GHz CPU, the smaller sibling is left with just 1.4-GHz or 1.6-GHz options. The reason for the difference here is simple: thermal design. The slower processors clock in at just 10W TDP (7W less than those used in the 13-inch models) making it much easier to cool the inside of the tiny 11.6-inch casing.

The combination of Core 2 Duo processor and NVIDIA 320M graphics is more powerful than the Atom and Intel IGP combo used in notebooks of similar size. While some comparable ultraportables use newer Arrandale chips in them, most also cost significantly more than the revised MacBook Air models. Apple decided to trade maximum performance for increased battery life and portability and still offer a lower price than the previous generation. Whether that tradeoff is worth it (and we’ll be checking this as we review the new models) is up to users to decide.Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/macbook-air-weak-cpus/#ixzz133Op3Phm

I am waiting for a cheap and small windows 7 tablet without a keyboard.

Don't get me wrong I think the Ipad is an excellent looking device, just the lack of REAL PC OS sucks.

I would buy an Ipad with a OSX.

I would love to run WaveLab on a tablet. Or a SD wave agent.

I love the fact that the introduction of the ipad will drasticly reduce the windows tablet prices.

I wanted an OQO for so long but they were charging $2800 for it.

That 11" MacBook Air is very, very sexy. Can't wait to see one "in the flesh" at the Apple Store.

No word on whether Sound Devices is developing anything for Android or the iPad, but Lectrosonics now has a developers kit for the iPad for their Aspen processors. I bet it would be fairly trivial for them to make a Venue controller as well, which would be sweet.

--Marc W.

I love the fact that the introduction of the ipad will drasticly reduce the windows tablet prices.

It is funny how Rado and I are at opposite ends on these things. I have lusted after several of the really nice sub-notebooks (netbooks) in the past but always passed them up because they don't run the OS I want.

You are right about how the iPad has affected the prices for the Windows based sub-notebooks. The demand for the iPad has been so great and the need for the other manufacturers to get their "iPad killer" out there has driven the prices way down (in some cases even below their costs!).

I just spent some time with the MacBook Air at the Apple Store. Both the 11" and larger 13" machines are glorious. It is hard to describe just how thin yet seemingly solid, rigid and durable it is. The instant ON feature is quite something. Neither felt like the screen was too small. I did not have chance to throw anything processor intensive at it but overall performance seemed really snappy, much faster than one might expect considering the spec on the processor clock rate. I think the numbers may be misleading and we will have to wait for some real benchmark testing. Even with that said, I think everyone will have to decide for themselves if it is a dog or not.

For me, I think the 11" MacBook Air would be a better choice than an iPad (surprised I don't have one yet?) since it runs full Mac OS and not iOS. I know I would be missing the touchscreen and all those neat iPad/iPhone apps, but the MacBook Air is so small and so light, it really is comparable.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

Clock speeds have always been a marketing tool.

I would not say they are not important but they are the least important spec.

If the Air has Intel I7, clock speed should not bother you at all.

But when they under clock the "NATIVE" clock speed like they did with the previous Air, then you get a real performance issues.

I just spent some time with the MacBook Air at the Apple Store. Both the 11" and larger 13" machines are glorious. It is hard to describe just how thin yet seemingly solid, rigid and durable it is. The instant ON feature is quite something. Neither felt like the screen was too small. I did not have chance to throw anything processor intensive at it but overall performance seemed really snappy, much faster than one might expect considering the spec on the processor clock rate. I think the numbers may be misleading and we will have to wait for some real benchmark testing. Even with that said, I think everyone will have to decide for themselves if it is a dog or not.

For me, I think the 11" MacBook Air would be a better choice than an iPad (surprised I don't have one yet?) since it runs full Mac OS and not iOS. I know I would be missing the touchscreen and all those neat iPad/iPhone apps, but the MacBook Air is so small and so light, it really is comparable.

-  Jeff Wexler

I have no idea what you mean. All computers are the same. A PC architecture.

Every computer runs every OS - OSX, Windows, Solar, Linux etc.

The difference is APPLE try to protect theirs with a simple block.

They will never succeed in blocking it.

As long as they use PC operation system people will install OSX

And the Ipad has done nothing for the price of the net books. Totally different devices.

The Ipad will lower the prices of windows "IPAD"

If Ipad did not exsist the new HP SLATE would be at least $2000.

Ipad is not something that Apple invented.

Windows tablets have been around for a long time.

Apple just found out how to produce it cheaper. By enslaving Chinese people.

It is funny how Rado and I are at opposite ends on these things. I have lusted after several of the really nice sub-notebooks (netbooks) in the past but always passed them up because they don't run the OS I want.

You are right about how the iPad has affected the prices for the Windows based sub-notebooks. The demand for the iPad has been so great and the need for the other manufacturers to get their "iPad killer" out there has driven the prices way down (in some cases even below their costs!).

Apple just found out how to produce it cheaper. By enslaving Chinese people.

And who did HP enslave to make their products?

I would be happy to buy a little laptop made locally, if such a beast existed.

Proud to have Comteks, Lectrosonics, Sound Devices 788T/744T, PSC Solice & PowerMax Ultra, RackMan drawer, all enclosed in an American-made Grundorf case.

Robert

Rado has said:"And the Ipad has done nothing for the price of the net books. Totally different devices."

I will find the links if I can but there have been lots and lots of articles in all the trade magazines, and the financial publications, regarding the direct impact on the marketability of ALL computing devices but specifically the class of sub-notebooks commonly referred to as "netbooks." I agree that they are somewhat different devices for sure but that is where the analysts have been directing their attention.

"The Ipad will lower the prices of windows "IPAD"

If Ipad did not exsist the new HP SLATE would be at least $2000.

Ipad is not something that Apple invented.

Windows tablets have been around for a long time."

True, tablets from other manufacturers will certainly have to hold their prices way down with respect to the Apple iPad. As for tablet computers having been around for a long time, this is also true, however no tablet computer before the iPad has had ANY significant sales to consumers. No company, other than Apple, has made a tablet that anyone wants to use ... the iPad, of course, has been a huge seller and is basically what is called a game changer (that game being the future of portable hand held computing).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler