ALP Antenna BNC Connecting

Jan McL

I found I could only remove the BNC when both pressing up on the BNC while also pressing down on the antenna.  Disappointing two-handed operation.

Or something like this, if you want a tool for the job.

http://www.datacomtools.com/catalog/Coaxial-Products/BNC-Removal.htm

The other solution could be getting Canare connectors for your cables.  They are typically larger and may allow you to get a better hold of the connector.

I bought the PSC antennas when I started mixing, one reason was the configuration of the BNC connector.

Robert

Difficult to get RF cable in and out. Difficult to know when the BNC is seated. Hard to grasp to twist out.

I sympathize -- that's one of those things I've been frustrated with for several years, since I started using a Venue (and a Quadpack before that). There is a special screwdriver/grip that I've seen video engineers use in order to detach a single BNC cable from a deep rack full of other BNC connectors very close together. But I think that would be overkill for just a couple of sharkfins.

Me, I just curse and grit my teeth. God help you if you get a slightly-bent connector on a BNC stuck to a sharkfin (a hell in which I've been through once).

--Marc W.

This is the tool:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358223-REG/TecNec_850008_BNC_Connector_Removal_Tool.html

For a video engineer, it's worth its weight in gold, particularly for routers. 

Haven't touched the thing since I saw the (record) light and switched to sound.

" There is a special screwdriver/grip that I've seen video engineers use in order to detach a single BNC cable from a deep rack full of other BNC connectors very close together "

the tool is widely available in the appropriate places, and generally inexpensive.

OK - the BNC removal tool's in my cart @ B&H for next time I make a larger order. Sigh. Friderday @ 2A found cussing wasn't enough.

Not all sharkfins are built alike. The ALP 6--'s I finally broke down and got after trying a cheaper model that was ineffective relative to the SNA-600's at least, worked really well with the Zaxcom setup. They penetrated 3 old church thick walls and a floor from the cart outside at the ground floor to the basement, and allowed me to set up in the front yard for a back yard BBQ scene with 6 radios out. No line of sight.

-- Jan

• 2 years later...

Caveat - These tools don't play well with BNCs that have the rubber strain relief sleeves. As all mine seem to have. Can't get past sleeve to grab any skirt. I have two of them at different lengths and seems I end up using my clumbsy fingers old school.

Best,

Dean Gudmundson

Sent from my iPad -

Dean Gudmundson

shadowsnd@aol.com