Ambient releases Clockit Timecode app for iPhone / iPad

Tom Visser

Bumping this thread. Anyone else out there having any more real world experience with this app? Im thinking of using a Denecke SB-3 to feed TC into my SD 702 and then taking one of the outs attenuated down -40dB to an iOS device (probably a current model iPod Touch) and use it like a smart slate. Anyone else doing something similar and can comment on the reliability?

I use it to check TC outputs--one GREAT thing about the Ambient app is that it tells you what the TC frame rate is--very useful when trying to figure out what a camera is outputting. The app has meant I can finally stop bringing my battered Otari TC reader to jobs to check the outputs of Lockits, SBTs, SB2s, cameras, recorders etc.. It's ok with me that it doesn't generate TC from the iPhone clock w/o a feed, because it wouldn't be accurate enough to use for frame accurate syncing anyhow.

phil p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered a padded TC cable from the link Tom provided. Came in a few days. Works.

3rd Gen Itouch with Clockit Timecode App. Used to establish TC output frame rate as per Phillip P's post.

Verifying output of SB3 in 552 use.

Thanks much Tom and Phillip.

Jon K. Oh

Add'l note: I double checked my BNC end as another post warned of defects even in a replacement.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is so nice anwser to some different situations where you just can´t carry a regular slate. Not valid for sync, but quite good for identifying the shoot especially in freerun mode.

How much pad do you recommend? Can´t wait for delivering to test it (I´ll try not to solder on Sunday in order to avoid my wife´s complaints but that´s all I can promise; by monday It must be setted up :ph34r: )

Nive pics Marc, Tom and Hobbit

Thx all!

Strange things happening; varying results. Using wireless link (from 788) to my iPad and iPod Touch no problems; iPhone will not work. Hard wired from 788 to iPad and iPod Touch it will randomly jump into "Voice Control" mode and will only work after a reboot of idevice. Will not work with iPhone.

Anyone else experienced this?

I´ve tested both Ambient and Denecke apps. Both show you the incoming TC when wired, but only Denecke´s TC Toolbox goes on generating if cable is disconected. But this TC is not jammed from the one coming from the cable. When unplugged, a new TC is generated from the iphone real time clock, so..... If you want to feed the iphone with your main TC gen like recorders or clockits, and keep it running unwired, it´s not value. The first thing I thought then was; ok, then lets feed Deva with this iphone generated TC, jam it, and let my main recorder generate the TC unplugged..... I was really expecting to success.... But again; feeding any device from the iphone cause a serious discrepancy; more than a second.

What else can I tell??? Ok I confess; after so many come and go; whole day soldering and testing cables and apps, I just made my mind about deserving myself a cooler app, even if I had to pay for It..... and I just got LTC Reader from Mac Store. Couldnt test again till tomorrow morning; do you think It Is worth? It´s gonna jam my TC and keep me more or less (3-4 frames) sync for a few hours?????

Oops I should not forget: Ambient Clockit and Denecke TC Toolbox tested on iPhones 4 & 5 & iPad 2. Working right

• 1 month later...

presumably any ipod / ipad needs to have the 4 pole 3.5mm jack socket to take in the TC,but...

1) What's the earliest gen of ipod that has the 4pole socket with mic in? I dont think my old 2nd gen ipod touch one does.....does a third gen touch have the 4 pole? Do all ipads have the 4 pole connector?

2)Even on my 2nd gen touch I'm pretty sure there is line audio in on pins 4&5 ( I think its4&5 ) on the dock connector on the bottom....is the Ambient or any other app smart enough to detect audio in ( and thus TC) from that source?

• 11 months later...

Just wandering if there are any updates on this App? Specifically regarding accuracy. I heard that the iPad display lag was compensated for in the Ambient app.

I don't own a smart slate, just haven't needed to use one enough to justify buying one yet. I have been doing a few 5DmkIII jobs lately and decided to give the app a go. Was feeding the 5D audio & TC via ERX1, and also hung the iPad off the front of my bag. Triple redundancy or CYA.

Editors used Pluraleyes to get us there in the end, so didn't require the Audio TC or the visual slate.

y3umasus.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...