Schoeps MK 41 for exteriors?

Adam Douglass

I apologies for the treatment you get here!

A lot of people here are OLD DOGS and BIG SHOTS.

They have done this work for a long time and have collected a lot of gear.

Half of them sit on a chair all they and have forgot what it is to be a MIXER and BOOM at the same time.

Me personally the SMALL SHOT I try not to change rigs if I am doing work outside.

MKH 60 is all I use in addition to wireless. Sometimes 416 if it is very noisy.

DO not make your job more difficult. Use your shotgun. DO not get VERY CLOSE with it and everything will be fine.

Clients are happy and you get paid.

I have asked stupid questions here. Some times I got stupid answers. No shame in that.

JEFF "If you read that"It would be nice to have a forum category for RUN AND GUN ENG style "one man orchestra" separate from the rest.

As a fairly new to the field compared to the old dogs I find it frustrating sometimes with the answers I get.

I just think there are 2 classes of sound mixers: The ones who hire a boom operator and the ones that do everything them self.

I'm assuming that's sarcasm. I guess it was kind of a stupid question. I'm well aware that it's pointless to set hard-and-fast rules about that sort of thing; I was just looking for general guidelines, but I guess it's more of a gut thing for the most part.

JEFF "If you read that"It would be nice to have a forum category for RUN AND GUN ENG style "one man orchestra" separate from the rest.

As a fairly new to the field compared to the old dogs I find it frustrating sometimes with the answers I get.

I just think there are 2 classes of sound mixers: The ones who hire a boom operator and the ones that do everything them self.

I don't think we need a special section since I don't think your "2 classes of sound mixers" is a valid assessment of our membership. I think if you actually polled the majority of mixers here you would find that throughout their careers, however long or short it has been, it would average out that the work has been a mix of one man band jobs and two man jobs (mixer and boom op). For those who are very new to the business, it will probably be that you have done ONLY bag work, and for those who have been at it for a very long time, we've sort of done it all at some point or another.

If you are amazed or disappointed at some of the answers to questions here, that is just the nature of an open and flexible forum like this. It seems to be working well for the majority so I think we'll just keep it going as it is.

The request for a separate board for the other "class" of sound mixer is similar to the request before that we should have a POST production board here to attract larger membership, etc. The fact is, again, those who have had a really long career have probably had a lot of post experience as well as production --- those new to the work will probably have had very little of either.

I apologies for the treatment you get here!

A lot of people here are OLD DOGS and BIG SHOTS.

They have done this work for a long time and have collected a lot of gear.

Half of them sit on a chair all they and have forgot what it is to be a MIXER and BOOM at the same time.

Me personally the SMALL SHOT I try not to change rigs if I am doing work outside.

MKH 60 is all I use in addition to wireless. Sometimes 416 if it is very noisy.

DO not make your job more difficult. Use your shotgun. DO not get VERY CLOSE with it and everything will be fine.

Clients are happy and you get paid.

I have asked stupid questions here. Some times I got stupid answers. No shame in that.

I respectfully submit that it's possible your frustration may come partly from the fact that you're highly opinionated and are often less than pleased when someone else's opinion doesn't agree with yours.

Trying to divide mixers into two classes is kind of like trying to make all decisions along gender lines -- it'll mislead you and probably get you into trouble.  There are many of us here who fit into both of your "classes" (okay, that screws up the "gender" analogy, doesn't it) -- we do both run-n-gun and cart work, and a whole variety more -- including post production.  And, yes, it is not uncommon for me to change mics when I'm run-n-gunning, depending upon circumstance and needs.  Likewise, when I have a boom op.

What is most revealing about your comments is the lack of respect you exhibit for people with a lifetime of experience.  I credit that attitude to the folly of youth.  I imagine you'll outgrow it.

John B., CAS

I Never disrespect anybody.

Putting my OSX and political post aside I do not think I disrespect anybody.

But I agree that I have to stop talking about politics and PCs.

My only point is that very often you guys look down on new people .

I respectfully submit that it's possible your frustration may come partly from the fact that you're highly opinionated and are often less than pleased when someone else's opinion doesn't agree with yours.

Trying to divide mixers into two classes is kind of like trying to make all decisions along gender lines -- it'll mislead you and probably get you into trouble.  There are many of us here who fit into both of your "classes" (okay, that screws up the "gender" analogy, doesn't it) -- we do both run-n-gun and cart work, and a whole variety more -- including post production.  And, yes, it is not uncommon for me to change mics when I'm run-n-gunning, depending upon circumstance and needs.  Likewise, when I have a boom op.

What is most revealing about your comments is the lack of respect you exhibit for people with a lifetime of experience.  I credit that attitude to the folly of youth.  I imagine you'll outgrow it.

John B., CAS

I understand.

Beginners forum maybe?

I don't think we need a special section since I don't think your "2 classes of sound mixers" is a valid assessment of our membership. I think if you actually polled the majority of mixers here you would find that throughout their careers, however long or short it has been, it would average out that the work has been a mix of one man band jobs and two man jobs (mixer and boom op). For those who are very new to the business, it will probably be that you have done ONLY bag work, and for those who have been at it for a very long time, we've sort of done it all at some point or another.

If you are amazed or disappointed at some of the answers to questions here, that is just the nature of an open and flexible forum like this. It seems to be working well for the majority so I think we'll just keep it going as it is.

The request for a separate board for the other "class" of sound mixer is similar to the request before that we should have a POST production board here to attract larger membership, etc. The fact is, again, those who have had a really long career have probably had a lot of post experience as well as production --- those new to the work will probably have had very little of either.

I don't know if you personally have done it.

I just have seen people saying G2 wireless is a paper weight. Buy Lectro instead.

Buy cmc641 and sanken cos11 and cs3e.

I have to be honest. I do not have a lot of experience and coming from studio recording so many things are not clear to me.

But most of the times when I want to ask a question I ask Oleg directly because I do not want to be abused,attacked and made fun of.

Seriously.

Not searching the forum first before you ask a question is a must! No problem with that.

But am I crazy or you guys are blind.

You guys just made fun of a valid question:

At what point you would switch between a short mic to a boom.

I do?  When?

Isn't it disrespectful to toss everyone past a certain level of experience into one large group and claim they all have the same attitudes and values?

John B., CAS

" I was just looking for general guidelines, but I guess it's more of a gut thing for the most part".

Hi Adam,

check out the link below. It is about the inverse square law. Basically it says that each time the distance between the mic and the source is doubled there is a decrease of 6dB in intensity. It probably does'nt work out exactly like that all of the time but it can be helpful as a general guide.

I think it can partly explain why the shorter mic (eg. MK41/mkh50) with its capsule closer to the source gives a stronger signal than a longer mic (eg mkh416) with the capsule further back. I hope it is of some help. Best regards,Neil

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/isprob2.html#c1

Thank you very much for the good information that can help a lot of people.

If I can add: Talk to the director and/or Dp if you are working mostly close ups.

That will help you determent what mic to use.

In my limited experience and my lack of second microphone support/wind protection for outdoors ,It is easier "for me" to just have a shotgun all the time. Saves me time and weight. 

And also I had a few times when producers look at my MKH8040 in disbelieve and ask: Are you going to use this small microphone?

Maybe it is a valid point to say that in the world where everybody is a video producer, people expect to see a boom.

" I was just looking for general guidelines, but I guess it's more of a gut thing for the most part".

Hi Adam,

check out the link below. It is about the inverse square law. Basically it says that each time the distance between the mic and the source is doubled there is a decrease of 6dB in intensity. It probably does'nt work out exactly like that all of the time but it can be helpful as a general guide.

I think it can partly explain why the shorter mic (eg. MK41/mkh50) with its capsule closer to the source gives a stronger signal than a longer mic (eg mkh416) with the capsule further back. I hope it is of some help. Best regards,Neil

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/isprob2.html#c1

Very unfortunate for me. I do not believe in chiropractors.

It is a made up science.

Never had back pain only mild uncomfortable feeling.

I am still 32. I hope I have good 8 more years pain free.

by the way  Rado , there are only 2 kind of mixers  , these who work and these who dont

of course these who work ,divide for 2 sub categories , these who thinking about diet  after the work and these who"re looking for chiropractors :-)