Most comfortable headphones?

greg sextro

Looking for any recommendations for the most comfortable headphones (that ideally sound good too!) that any of you have come across.  My ears get pinched by most headphones and on longer projects, this can build up to some nasty headaches over time.  So in addition to being comfortable, I'm also looking for ones that are deep.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

-Greg-

I've been using Beyer DT250's for a few years. Very comfortable, sound fine. They are reasonably rugged, you can easily replace the head band, ear cups and cable but they don't fold so are harder to travel with than Sony MDR-7506's. They are unfortunately also expensive.

I can't wear the 7506's myself - my glasses and the folding mechanism just don't get along. And years of headaches from days wearing DT-48's lead me to the DT-250's.

Best regards,

Jim

I currently use the sennhiesser hd25ii, and have not had a problem with them. The nice thing about these are the replacement parts. I've worked in temps between -5 Celcius to 45+ Celcius. Prior to this, I used the sony 7509, which had a muddier sound, but are  bigger and a little more comfortable in colder conditions, but got hot to wear in the warmer conditions.

For location sound I use hd25MKII

I love how they sound.

I love the noise isolation.

But I have to tell you there are not very comfortable.

I currently use the sennhiesser hd25ii, and have not had a problem with them. The nice thing about these are the replacement parts. I've worked in temps between -5 Celcius to 45+ Celcius. Prior to this, I used the sony 7509, which had a muddier sound, but are  bigger and a little more comfortable in colder conditions, but got hot to wear in the warmer conditions.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The senn hd25s give me a headache in about 3 to 4 hours.

@ Eric, I've recently been using the Ultrasone HFI 700s.  I use them for dialog editing a lot, but they still give me a headache after a few days.  The isolation is pretty great though - I kept having to remove them to hear what off camera people were saying to me.

@ Rado - I've got a pair of those AKGs lying around somewhere.  Way to open backed for location sound IMO.

The Beyerdynamic DT770s look really comfy.  I think I just might have to give those a shot.

-greg-

Thanks for the replies guys.

The senn hd25s give me a headache in about 3 to 4 hours.

@ Eric, I've recently been using the Ultrasone HFI 700s.  I use them for dialog editing a lot, but they still give me a headache after a few days.  The isolation is pretty great though - I kept having to remove them to hear what off camera people were saying to me.

@ Rado - I've got a pair of those AKGs lying around somewhere.  Way to open backed for location sound IMO.

The Beyerdynamic DT770s look really comfy.  I think I just might have to give those a shot.

-greg-

With the Ultrasones you need a sign/shirt/hat that says "If I Have My Headphones On I Can't Hear You".

Eric

7506's here with replacement soft ear pads, beyer dt250's are kept as spares but they're a bit big and heavy for everyday use. HD25's I find awful, and as for them having any sound isolation, only if you have ears the size of a small girls ears! I've never used cans with less isolation.

Try a few pairs on, or buy a couple of different pairs expecting to sell the ones you don't like if you can't trial them anywhere.

Another vote for Beyer DT250.  They have a bit more isolation than the 7506, but still open enough.

I used 7506 for years, but by the end of the day the part of my ear that was pressed against my head would hurt by the end of the day.

But as many have pointed out, the pads for the DT250 will fit on the 7506, adding a but of depth and making the 7506 a lot more comfortable.  It could be the best of both worlds for you.

Robert

Another vote for Beyer DT250.  They have a bit more isolation than the 7506, but still open enough.

I used 7506 for years, but by the end of the day the part of my ear that was pressed against my head would hurt by the end of the day.

Robert

I used those (DT250) replacement pads on my 7506s.  They were notably more comfortable than the regular earpads.  Still, in the end, on shoots that went multiple days, my ears still felt pinched.  My ears aren't big, but they do seem to splay out a little - though nothing like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

" the most comfortable headphones (that ideally sound good too!) "

two very subjective qualities that point to the individuality of headphone selection.

Currently I'm very happy with ATH M50's, and use Clear-Com earsocks (similar to Garfield's, only black and cheaper

Feeling like a bit of a Senator fan these days.

I'm using ATH-M50Ss at the moment as well (straight cable) and like them very much. I find them far better (comfort-wise - since that's the topic) than the 7509s they replaced. I do like them better as well in a much more general sense. But staying on topic, I'm surprised how long I can wear them without headband-related fatigue.

One thing that works both for an against them: the ear cups have a pivot which helps to make them more comfortable. Those pivots also make me feel like a fool on occasion while I fumble around trying to put them on really quickly.

One thing to note about HD25's is when new they are quite tight and as they wear in they get looser. I have two pairs and the headband on the new pair is tight but I remember this was the case when I got the first pair and it put me off them to start with. I find I need to do a lot of eq'ing on prefade  on a tv show P.A. position and they are the only pair of h/p's I have found which I can use for this.

I bought a pair of Sony MDR 7502 in error thinking they where 7506 and I have found this model to be no use. I still have not really worked with the Sony MDR 7506 that so many here are keen on.

On the downside when the HD25 are worn in and looser you get less isolation. Having said that, when new and tight I find the bass response to be exaggerated. For the quality of sound reproduction and durability they are very good. I don't find them uncomfortable or too hot in summer.

Good luck finding something you like.

Concerning the Ultrasones, which are the models that are suitable (or good) to monitor ? I looked a little and found there's a lot of models nowadays.

I guess DJ's models have some boost here and there so I'd avoid those models. Did some of you had the chance to compare ?

Concerning the Ultrasones, which are the models that are suitable (or good) to monitor ? I looked a little and found there's a lot of models nowadays.

I guess DJ's models have some boost here and there so I'd avoid those models. Did some of you had the chance to compare ?

I've compared the various Ultrasone models and found that the 680 sounded just about right for me. A word of caution about them, they don't sound anything like what you might expect from other phones. They have a more open/spacious presentation due to the placement of the drivers in the ear piece which I find to be an advantage in monitoring. The Sony 7506 has a very compressed sound compared to the Ultras. You don't suffer ear fatigue from listening on the Ultras as you do with the Sonys. All of my comments are my opinion only.

Eric

I use the ultrasone pro 650. Its a bit bulky and doesn't fold as nice as the 7506. I find them comfortable.

...A word of caution about them, they don't sound anything like what you might expect from other phones. They have a more open/spacious presentation due to the placement of the drivers in the ear piece which I find to be an advantage in monitoring. The Sony 7506 has a very compressed sound compared to the Ultras. You don't suffer ear fatigue from listening on the Ultras as you do with the Sonys...

Eric

Ditto

I also need less monitor gain with these compared to the 7506, further decreasing fatigue. At the end of a "reality" day with 7506 my ears feel stuffed with cotton( let alone the mind numbing crap my brain has absorbed). With the ultrasones, my ears feel fine although my brain often shuts down and goes into self preservation mode

I'm aware of this and still ready to try !  ;-)

Ears fatigue reduction is my main goal.

What interests me is the radiaton shielding too.

Thanks for infos !

I have no way of gaging the radiation shielding and for all I know its about as useful as a tinfoil hat. The placement of the drivers and the isolation are great. I've used the pro 650s for 5 years