Most comfortable headphones?

greg sextro

I use Directsound EX-29s

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

I have 2 sets, one is the older style and one is the newer style.  I only just got the newer ones so I haven't really field-tested them yet, but the older pair I have are plenty comfortable to wear for long days.  I did a shoot not too long ago that was 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 3 solid weeks, and although every OTHER part of my body was all but destroyed by the end of it (one man sound crew...), my ears were fine.

They are also extremely durable.  My own pair has suffered quite a bit of abuse over the time I've owned it and come out with nothing more than a few scuffs and scratches.  And if anything does break, they're designed so all the parts are easy to replace.  They've also got great customer service.  It's the kind of business where if you send them an email, the guy who writes back is the guy who owns the company.

The only downside I've found is also is my favorite feature... they have, as the name suggests, quite a bit of isolation.  So you will absolutely not be able to hear anything that's not coming through your mixer.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone here can give me some info/comments about the Ultrasone PRO650 headphones as I am thinking of buying a pair for monitoring location sound recordings. The Ultrasone website has no info about them.  Thanks in advance, Neil

I'm not sure of the difference if any but I use the HFI 680 and love them. I made the switch from Sony 7506 about 4 years ago and never regretted it. The Ultrasones have a less compressed soundfield than the Sonys and are more comfortable to wear. One caveat is that it will take a bit of time to adjust to the sound of the Ultrasones but after you do you'll appreciate them.

Eric

Slightly off topic, but.. Any Audio Technica ATH-M50 users replaced their ear pads, and are there any alternatives to the stock pads (like the soft, velvety Beyers)? Just wondering. It looks like the Beyer velvety things won't fit my ATH-M50s.

Chris Newton

I'd also like to know.  Mine are looking pretty rough these days.

7506's here with replacement soft ear pads,

+1

HD25's I find awful

+1

Try a few pairs on, or buy a couple of different pairs expecting to sell the ones you don't like if you can't trial them anywhere.

+1

Next time I'm going to get a pair of DT 770 Pro. No need to add better earpads because the stock ones are velvety smooth.

FWIW -- I tried the Garfields but much prefer the Beyer cushions on both Sony 7506 and HN-7506 cans.

John B., CAS

I agree.  The Garfields are soft and cozy, but they reduce the isolation.  I also much prefer the Beyer cushions on the 7506s.  Not only are they more comfortable than both the stock earpads, but I feel like they offer better isolation as well.

Marc

FWIW -- I tried the Garfields but much prefer the Beyer cushions on both Sony 7506 and HN-7506 cans.

John B., CAS

Me too!

But I actually use the DT250s

I also own some 7506s with the DT250 pads

Either way you can't go wrong.  Good comfort and good sound on both.  I prefer my Beyers a little bit more, however.

Robert

long time HD280 uer. switched to hd25 last tear and never turned back.

Coiled cable is a deal breaker for me regardless if it is a jumper or headphone cable.

However last sunday on a google shoot I could not find my hd25 and took my hd280.

There is a low end boomy sound that lets me know when I am getting to close with the shot gun.

I am currently using Sennheiser HD 280 pro head phones. Great isolation. Listening at a lower level. Rests completely on the skull,

not touching the ears. $99.00