Union Blues?

Guest Mick

For years now I have paid my union dues, enjoyed the benefits of membership in local 695 and appreciated the health care program and pension potential on behalf of my family and me. I read with interest the direction that the "695 streaming video" post took after its initial posting by Crew. I've never taken an interest in union meetings because I've had a laissez-faire attitude to what I considered to be an area of concern but not of influence, which of course is totally misguided. Over the years I've listened to stories, rumours and even direct propaganda from union reps who were just self-serving and as transparent as Paris Hilton's blouse, but to my shame I've had a "show up, do the job and cash the cheque" attitude. Having read the remarks posted about the seminar and especially Jeff's apparent (scratch that, obvious) discontent with the local, the union and its leadership, I'm re-thinking my ambivalence and re-assessing my heretofore lack of involvement and commitment to an organization that, to all intents and purposes, I should take pride in and in which I should be an active rather than passive member.

I thank Jeff for giving me personally a virtual kick up the bum and I hope that any of the active participants here will expand their participation in union affairs if they haven't already done so.

Just to clarify, because the humor and intent behind the written word can often be misunderstood, there is nothing tongue in cheek or otherwise cynical about this, just plain straight thinking.

Regards

Mick

Hey Mick, your POV about our local is and has been my POV for many years, mostly stemming from the meetings I did attend years ago. That and the many, many hours we put into our jobs, and the commitment to raising a family, I just can't muster the extra time it would require. I know that many, like Jeff put in the extra effort to make things better for all of us in 695, and I can only applaude there efforts in fighting a good fight against an old bitter system intrenched in the past, (my POV). The local could use more fresh blood and thinking like you, and I hope you do more in the future.

Regards, CrewC

• 4 weeks later...

Unions are small democratic organizations created to give the strength of all workers as one voice.  A union is also an organization where very few can effect change for good or bad.  That happens when the members don't participate because it can only be as strong as the members that are involved.  Your board of directors want and need our input!

When I started in the union, we had standing room only crowds.  It was frustrating to hear some bags of wind speak, but there were plenty of voices of wisdom speaking too.  Now, I just see apathy.  I feel that members really don't have a right to bitch unless they make some efforts to go to a couple meetings a year and espouse their points of view.  So I'm glad you feel that way Mick and I hope that someday everyone gets involved again....