Streaming audio via the web as an ifb alternative..

Derek H

So I just got an Android based smartphone and I feel like its changing the way I do things in a lot of little ways and I had the following idea..

Seeing how so many people in production have a web capable device in their pocket these days have any of you experimented with or implemented a live webcast based ifb feed?  From a cart based rig I would imagine the process would be fairly straight forward.  A laptop taking a mono feed from the board and some type of encoding/streaming software.  Possibly some server space as well..  the webcast would likely be password protected and all you would have to do is pass out a card with the url and password.

Also,  I would love to see some software developed to acomplish this with a smartphone..  I had a scenario the other day at work where we were shooting in a vehicle and the AP was in a follow vehicle sometimes a few blocks away.  Obviously a traditional comtek in an eng bag isn't much use in this situation.  I would like to see some kind of bluetooth interface to the phone that could live in the sound bag that would act as a line input from the mixer to the phone.  Then some software on the phone that takes the audio encodes it, and upload it live over the internet.  There would be delay involved for sure but that wouldn't matter in this kind of situation..

Anyway, kind of a pipedream but all the tech is there its just a matter of getting it all together.  There are many smartphone apps  that do this for a live video but none that I can find work exclusively on audio or can take a line feed somehow.

Any ideas?

-d

Wouldn't it be nice if we could take away the writer's, producer's and wannabes little "binky". Perish the thought that they might not be able to hear every word or see every frame.

I say tough luck guys, you'll see it all tomorrow on your laptops when they distribute the DVD's.

Every clown walks around with a Comtek and headset, including the P.A.s, trying to listen to blocking rehearsals, when there isn't even a microphone open.

Why try to encourage them it will only cost us more of our time and resources and you won't get an extra dime for it.

Anyway, kind of a pipedream but all the tech is there its just a matter of getting it all together.  There are many smartphone apps  that do this for a live video but none that I can find work exclusively on audio or can take a line feed somehow.

Any ideas?

-d

Of course all the tech is there, either with smartphones or laptops, whatever...  I have to agree with what Richard said, and add that the AP (I assume you mean Associate Producer or, and I mean this in a nice way, Ass. Prod.) doesn't need to hear OR see all of this while you are shooting. The Director, yes, of course, script, DP, operators involved, etc., and if these vital people are NOT able see or hear what they are doing then something is already horribly wrong with the way things are being done. This will not be solved by some smartphone app!

I'm not shutting you down with respect to your question, I think it is very important that we constantly explore what we can do with the latest technology --- but it is equally important to NOT offer "solutions" to "problems" that do not exist (particularly when it enables the perpetuation of trends that ARE chronic problems: too many cooks, no recipe, not a very good meal even after everyone has had a go at it).

-  Jeff Wexler

Guest Eric Lamontagne

I think practically it would work with an audio AND video stream, that way they would be in time with each other.

Bandwidth issues are an obvious limiting factor with a phone, but I don't think its far off really.

I think its a good idea for special situations. Maybe even another department.

I know that one of the larger budget projects I recently worked on had IP streaming in HD (compressed but still amazing picture) to the main set. I was 2nd unit. Three guys were dedicated to this tech. Wow.

Good Luck

Eric

Thanks for the feedback,

I do appreciate your neutral/negative position towards this idea.  Reinventing the wheel is pretty pointless, agreed.  The webcast isn't very useful for cart based work and actually may be more of a headache for the mixer than anything else (very likely actually) .  Really the idea is more useful in a doc situation where an AP (yes, associate pro.) Needs to take notes or be aware of the shooting situation but is out of range of a traditional ifb.  I wouldnt ditch the comteks alltogether, just looking for another tool to solve a specific problem. 

If anyone has any ideas or apps to try please let me know.  Also if someone comes across the kind of Bluetooth hardware I'm talking about please share!

-  regarding bandwidth:  I think an audio specific app would be best more for battery life of the phone than anything else.  My evo already has pretty spotty battery life.  Also lightweight coding would be good so the phone could still theoretically do other things while uploading the audio stream.