most musical 4-8 channel digital recorder

grawk

Oh, right, thanks.

"..so I can record simultaneously to a digital recorder (spdr or nagra) and my iphone". $Umpteen to record to..

iphone frequency response_opt.jpg

..an iPhone?  (iPhone freq response chart from DxOMark.)

Many thanks for the reply.

13 minutes ago, DHB said:

..an iPhone?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with the frequency response chart. The M2D2 is basically a USB-C sound cart or interface so whether you write the digital file on a high-end recorder, a computer or a smartphone doesn't really matter quality-wise. It's just the already converted file that will be the same everywhere you store it. Playback quality is not the reason for using a phone, I guess.

Or am I not getting something here?

right the phone is a bit bucket for redundancy and convenience. 

The m2d2 also has a headphone jack, and I'm assuming (I hope reasonably) that combined with my reasonably good headphones, will make for good mobile listening.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:41 PM, DanieldH said:

I have a 4minX. I hardly use it, but good to have. At some point I will sell or barter it inside EU, so, I am not advertising mine to you.

I cannot confirm the slight tone at (was it 8?)kHz. Maybe my unit is not affected or I just don't hear it. It can be notched out later anyway. 

2. The menu and overall firmware design did not reach adulthood and things like metadata, monitoring matrix, menu ergonomics and some other foo are a complete pain in film workflows. Probably much less so in music room recording, if you can prepare in advance. 

It has 4 analog inputs, yes, all with 48V, but they come in two pairs with diffent dynamic ranges! Dig the specs, and compare with other brands/models mentioned in this thread. You can add more channels with an old MixPreD or Sonosax M2D2 via 2 AES pairs that also offer AES42/SRC btw. 

The unit is quite big, but it is still light as they enclosed a lot of air.

The main reason why you probably won't buy a 4minX is, there is virtually no market! At least last time, I checked.

I love the 4minx, but the two units that I have, have the tone (around 1490Hz), the preamps are great but have high harmonic distortion too 

The menu is very awful for drama, but for music isn't a drama 

Another for the Sound Devices 788T, the best preamps I tried and measured in a battery recorder, built for last (Except the keyboard). The drawback for me is the menu (I hate it) (I'll love a harwire CL Wifi), but isn't a problem for music. 

Measures

272389693_10227960129007530_6877345253973269379_n.jpg

272233532_10227960154728173_1321855573632233527_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 7:54 AM, callou said:

As a Nova2 owner i sadly would not suggest it for music : it's a amazing machine for dialog  but i found that its neverclip can't handle sustained bass sound ( swiching to the second preamp produce an audible click..)  never had a problem in a   real world situation but it's quite easy to reproduce and in a music situation  it would  really  scare me as the only fail safe would be to never reach the neverclip threshold ( -3dbFS if no ISO attenuation is engaged and this threshold is lowered by the same value  of the iso attenuation you dial on your tracks .) Quite easy to avoid in most situation but nevertheless it's dangerous..

on my personal test only the  the nova2 has this flaw , Nomad and nova1 are fine ...( i think their analog stage are quite similar )

but If somebody has managed to record music with a nova 2 without encountering this problem i will be gald to hear it and reassure myself..

I have used the Nova to record classical ensembles and other acoustic music with amazing results. I did a back to back comparison with the SD888 and the Nova had the edge in my opinion for this use case. I always had the Cantar in mind if I were to take it to another level and they upgraded the long-in-the-tooth X3 - but the sad news about Aaton means that is unlikely to ever happen. Would still be keen to compare an X3 against the Nova though

On 2/28/2024 at 6:42 AM, grawk said:

right the phone is a bit bucket for redundancy and convenience. 

The m2d2 also has a headphone jack, and I'm assuming (I hope reasonably) that combined with my reasonably good headphones, will make for good mobile listening.

To circle back on this one:  the headphone amp in the m2d2 combined with my IEMs (jh audio jh13) make for a dandy listening environment.  

I'm a R4+ and M2D2 user and would say Sonosax all the way for music.  I used SD and Zaxcom for many years and have recorded music on them for convenience with good results, all fine, great machines.  but doing the same with Sonosax is a big jump in musicality and 'ease of sound'.  Generally the stuff I have recorded that way has been small music groups playing mostly acoustic instruments along with multiple voices, with a mix of ribbon mics and dynamics, leaving the Schoeps and so on in the cabinet much of the time.  

On 2/22/2024 at 8:28 PM, axel said:

so then try an Aaton Cantar X1 or X2. They came out in 2003/2007. Their developer/designer JP Beauviala acquired his skills at Kudelski, where the famous Nagra machines were produced. He tried to translate the Nagra philosophy into the multitrack world, listenend to the community for a long time and then developed a machine with beautiful mechanics, built like a tank, but with the highest audio standards available. Can be operated over the shoulder, in the rain, blindfolded and with gloves. But best preamps. Just guessing, maybe you would love one of those.

Regarding modern film workflows they are not accurate anymore and service has been discontinued when the original Aaton company shut its doors in 2013. But there are still some people who know how to service and repair them and have some stocks of relevant parts.

You ment Jacques Sax (owner of Sonosax) was at Kudelski. Not Beauviala.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:15 AM, Jim Rillie said:

I think M. Beauviala also worked with M. Kudelski on the Nagra Preamps, so there is a connection. I'm sure this had some effect on the Cantar Preamps as well which have proven (IMHO) to be the best in the business for handling dynamics, and sounding great.

Do you have the link to this info? I don't believe Beauviala was ever in contact with Kudelski to develop the preamps. This industry is small, Beauviala and  Jacques Sax where good friends, probably that Beauviala also knew Mr. Kudelski. But I believe Beauviala, in contrary of Jacques Sax,  never worked for or with Kudelski.

I will try to find a source tonight after work. This collaboration happened in the 60s I believe. This was not an employer/ employee relationship, more of a collaboration of engineers with similar interests.

OK, I can't find any references to Kudelski and Beauviala. Must have been something I heard or read without verification. I will delete the original post.

On 3/11/2024 at 2:15 PM, DJ MMF said:

I have used the Nova to record classical ensembles and other acoustic music with amazing results. I did a back to back comparison with the SD888 and the Nova had the edge in my opinion for this use case. I always had the Cantar in mind if I were to take it to another level and they upgraded the long-in-the-tooth X3 - but the sad news about Aaton means that is unlikely to ever happen. Would still be keen to compare an X3 against the Nova though

Was it a Nova1 or Nova2?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 4:40 PM, Jim Rillie said:

I will try to find a source tonight after work. This collaboration happened in the 60s I believe. This was not an employer/ employee relationship, more of a collaboration of engineers with similar interests.

OK, I can't find any references to Kudelski and Beauviala. Must have been something I heard or read without verification. I will delete the original post.

Hi. There must have been a collaboration between Nagra and Aaton when Beauviala developped the Aaton code in the 80s and more over the Aaton Origin C that was compatible with the Nagra IVS TC (from 1984).