Minix CCM and B5D wind noise

Andy P

Has anyone had any experience with the new Cinela Minix suspensions for CCM's? I'm using it with a B5D and am hearing quite a lot of wind noise even with moderate boom moves. 

http://www.cinela.fr/catalog.php?pid=63

I hired one of the original wire OSIX CCM mounts and was very pleased with the results, but when I went to purchase one, the dealer said that the new Minix version was the one to go for. They look more like the Rycote Lyre style. Apparently the wire versions have been breaking,which is why Cinela developed this plastic model, but I'm not sure if the B5D can fit properly on it though. It looks like it should be OK,the plastic rim of the B5D is pressed firmly against the base of the Cinela's lemo socket, but maybe it can't go back far enough? It would only be a millimetre or so if this is the case.

I've tested the B5D on the CCM41 just with the Schoeps lemo to XLR, and whilst there is obviously a load of handling noise, there's considerably less wind noise.

Surely they tested it with a B5D though? The dealer is aware of the problem and is shipping me one of the wire versions for a job I have coming up this weekend, but I'd be keen to hear if anyone else has used one with a CCM 41.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought a ccm41/minix/B5D and I also have some different noise issues. The first is probably the same wooshing sound as this topic describes in the first post.

I can't hardly move it sideways without hearing a woosh.

A year ago I used the exact same combination and had no issues even though I often used it in fixed positions.

I have used the B5D with my cmc6/mk41 combo for years without any issues.

The other "noise" was more annoying. With small vibrations/rattle movements the B5D sounded like fabric moving.

When I changed windscreen to a small 100% foam, this noise disappeared. So that noise must have been made from the B5D alone, if I don't miss anything here.

Maybe I have a broken B5D? Anyone recognize the sounds I'm describing?

I've mailed both Schoeps, Cinela the reseller and waits for their answers.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Regards

John

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Rycote invision?

Yup. Not a good mount for that Mic btw. It works but it's fiddly...The minix is obviously a lot better. I'd sounds like your b5d could be bad, like some fabric got in between the plastic or something. This, btw from schoeps website

The B 5 D cannot be used with MK 6 or MK 8 capsules, or the corresponding CCM compact microphones

But I can say that I have, and with success.

Yes, the ccm41 is wonderful, the minix is amazing and the B5D have always been terrific. But still this combination gives me headache.

I will try to reproduce the B5D's whoosh and fabric sound with the cmc6/mk41.

Since the B5D is the cheapest part, I hope it's broken in some way.

I have the same sounds coming from the B5D when used with cmc6/mk41 but not as strong. I have inspected it and it looks good inside, nothing is between the plastic cage and the outer foam.

I'm starting to think that maybe the windshield does sound like this when "rattled". The minix isolator is more "loose" then my invision7 (cmc6mk41), witch makes the ccm shake more. And I'm not talking about shaking the boom, it's really small vibrations that makes the B5D sound like this.

Regarding the wooshing, it's the same as with the cmc6mk41, a third oct. filter would help me here. I've read that the Rycote Tac!T pick ups interference... Any other choices?

Maybe I have to forget about this windshield and get the foam filled B5. But it bothers me.

The minix b5d and ccm41 is problematic.

I believe it's the rubber ring hitting the air.

If u grab the minix with your hand covering the rubber ring and swing it fast. There is no whooshin noise. I'm trying t glue pillow foam around the ring to block the wind hole. It's an awesome rig for size and handing noise. But it is unuseable. Unless it's locked off.

Then we have to make a modification of the B5D so it works as it should.

I think the modification should be with the plastic minix, I got the older wire version in the end and it works perfectly with the B5D.