Your Rights

Bartek

Hello,

Today an incident occured while filming that inspired this post. The scene is;

a woman helps an injured police officer into his car (passanger seat), runs around to the drivers side and peals out.

Simple right? Sure! The kind of scene that both my Boom Op and I agree that a "flag pole" solution is the thing to do (play it safe with reflections) So the only problem is that as soon as she hits the gas, she also turns on the siren ripping our heads off. Ouch! I ripp of my headphones, franticly pull the fader to 0 turn around still in severe shock and find the peanut gallery at video village laughing their tails off. "how was that for sound, ha ha"

Now lets imagine that someone fell on set or the DP got poked in the eye, etc. Would anyone react this way? Propably not!

Well this got me thinking. When you feel that you or your crew are exposed to dangerous conditions (this was an isolated incident on this show) how do you go about getting out of the contract. I guess what im asking is, what is the propper procedure of walking from a job when your safety is seriously japordised?

Bartek

This will not help to get out of a contract but you may have a government organization that can help you on a dangerous set. 

In Canada, the Canada labour code gives workers the right to refuse dangerous work.  After notifying the employer, the worker remains at a safe location or can do other work while the compliant is handled.  If the employer takes action against the employee for refusing dangerous work, the employee can make a complaint to the Canada labour Relations Board.

In Ontario there is the Ministry of Labor that requires an investigation of all accidents and the shutdown of a set during the investigation.  There are fines and imprisonment for supervisors and the company if the MoL is not notified of an accident, if a set is not shut down after an accident, or it was determined that the set was not safe.

The unions in Ontario have a health and safety symposium every year and I think they would take a complaint about a unsafe set very seriously.