G2 mic in or line in?

Erick

It's been well documented/discussed before on this site what the outputs are.

whether you want to run mic level or line level into a camera is up to you.  some cameras seem to work better with one vs the other.  for example, with the Red camera, I prefer mic level in.  Seems to deal better with proper levels and headroom.

-greg-

It's been well documented/discussed before on this site what the outputs are.

whether you want to run mic level or line level into a camera is up to you.  some cameras seem to work better with one vs the other.  for example, with the Red camera, I prefer mic level in.  Seems to deal better with proper levels and headroom.

-greg-

Yep, I have the same impression, but I was asking for the transmiter input, any advantage line in over mic in?

Erick del Valle

Santiago de Chile

I was looking for that info, but Sennheiser G2 manual doesn't have it, is there any advantage to make a camera link with G2 using line in over mic in?

Thanks in advance!

Erick del Valle

Santiago de Chile

I've done quite a bit of experimenting back and forth with A set of G3s for a camera hop and I would certenly recomend you go with mic level input. In my experience that gives you the least sound coloration and minimal noise level. On my set right now I run Mic level in with sensetivity set to -60. I also pad the mixer output 10 dB cause I'm running line out. Might not be standard, but thats what sounds best to me with my gear. And it sounds really good.

/Rasmus

I've done quite a bit of experimenting back and forth with A set of G3s for a camera hop and I would certenly recomend you go with mic level input. In my experience that gives you the least sound coloration and minimal noise level. On my set right now I run Mic level in with sensetivity set to -60. I also pad the mixer output 10 dB cause I'm running line out. Might not be standard, but thats what sounds best to me with my gear. And it sounds really good.

/Rasmus

Uhmm, in G2's max sensitivity att is -30

Erick del Valle

Santiago de Chile

I have to disagree.

Avoid the cameras noisy pres as much as possible.

Noise is never an issue for me and my g3s.

Sometimes when the compander kicks in you can here noise while sound is going trough only.

Be smart about your levels and all will be good.

Try to go hardwired as much as possible so you can monitor the return.

Do not just hand the video guy headphones and tell him to listen to the audio.

Also as many people have mentioned if you do not get paid for a hop do not use one for free.

/Rasmus

When feeding a G2/3 from a 302's (-15dBu) tape-out, I use the line-in configuration. 3.5 TRS mini-plug 'Ring' hot, 'Tip' jumped to shield.  The transmitter's "Sensitivity" setting @ -20dB. The receiver's G2/3 'AF' out is set to -12 or -18dB. Camera set to Mic level.

That being stated, I hesitate to trust a cam-op to identify RF hits and other audio anomalies, so I hard-wire the mixer/camera connections as much as possible. When I can't use a cable, I run a 2-trk. back-up recorder.

Try line level. I like it better.

Just engage tone at -20 and configure the TX so it does not overload.

Then try to push the RX to even +1X.

When feeding a G2/3 from a 302's (-15dBu) tape-out, I use the line-in configuration. 3.5 TRS mini-plug 'Ring' hot, 'Tip' jumped to shield.  The transmitter's "Sensitivity" setting @ -20dB. The receiver's G2/3 'AF' out is set to -12 or -18dB. Camera set to Mic level.

That being stated, I hesitate to trust a cam-op to identify RF hits and other audio anomalies, so I hard-wire the mixer/camera connections as much as possible. When I can't use a cable, I run a 2-trk. back-up recorder.

Rado, I do feed the transmitter line-level. (-15dB from the 302's Tape-out) It's getting a good strong signal. I was just stating 'my' preferred settings because it works and sounds good. No problems here.

If you mean the EK-100 portable 'Receiver', even with the G2's 'AF' output adj. to max., (+12) it does not have enough output to drive a +4 input.. nor was it designed to.

Cheers, Rick