remote roll for SD 7 series and Metacorder using Cooper...

Does anyone know what it takes to remote roll a SD 702T (or 744T for that matter) and Metacorder (on a MacMini) from a CS208D? I'm aware of the CL-1 and the Tranzport, but aren't these both interfaced directly with their respective recording platforms?  I'm looking for a solution that will enable me to use the remote roll switches on the Cooper.

• 6 months later...
Guest silverking

I too am currently working on a solution to remote-roll this combination of devices (Metacorder and 702-T) so I'll resurect this old thread asking the same question.

I'd be satisfied if I could remote-roll from one 'switch'even if that switch wasn't the remote-roll switch on the Cooper.

Metacorder interfaces quite tightly with the Yamaha 01V-96 via MIDI, with full Metacorder transport functions addressable from the Yamaha control surface itself. This would appear to indicate that Metacorder is fully addressable via MIDI for control of its transport functions.

I wonder if you could address the CL-1 programable logic circuits somehow via a MIDI to voltage switch adapter, you could use MMC (in the form of something like the Tranzport) to first address Metacorder, and then address the logic inputs on the CL-1 to roll the SD-702T.

The item I can't locate anywhere, and don't have the chops to build is the MIDI to CL-1 voltage interface part of the puzzle.

There's also this device:

http://www.rollogic.com/

which will roll multiple Sound Devices 700 series recorders, but otherwise interfaces with the RS-442 control protocol.

Going this route would appear to require an RS-442 to MIDI interface, something else I've not located yet.

Anybody else have any ideas on remote-rolling a 700 series Sound Devices recorder and Metacorder?

With a CL1 it is supposedly possible to program it and connect it via the screw terminals to the remote roll circuits in consoles to roll SD recorders..  This is on my todo list for my setup, but I haven't gotten to grips with it yet.  The Metacorder remote roll seems knottier--is this possible with the Apple remote that comes w/ current Macs?

Philip Perkins