TC Sync for transcribe

Zack

Got a 3 cam shoot (2x EX3's, and some consumer type for effect). They said they wanted TC for all three during interviews for transcription purposes. I'm thinking using a TS-3 would be the best approach. I'm not too familiar with what editors need for "transcription" exactly.... Should this be adequate?

They usually want TC recorded on one audio channel with a mono mix down on the other channel in 128kbps stereo mp3 format.  It's best to deal with the transcription house directly to determine their specs.

Good luck.

Marc

Per camera, or are you saying as the delivery?  I've been trying to ask their post or transcription people the last few days, but no response so far.  Appreciate your input.

Most companies want a duplicate copy of the program recorded onto a separate MP3 recorder, so the files can be FTP'd promptly to the transcription house.  Otherwise they'd need to copy the time code and program from the master files or tapes and converted to MP3s before they can send them.

You want the time code on the cameras to match what the time code is on whichever channel the transcription house prefers for the MP3 (program on the other channel).

Any of the little recorders that we often discuss here will work well for this.  If you don't have adapter cables with proper attenuation for the time code channel, then a recorder that has separate channel level adjustments is your best choice.

John B., CAS

Most companies want a duplicate copy of the program recorded onto a separate MP3 recorder, so the files can be FTP'd promptly to the transcription house.  Otherwise they'd need to copy the time code and program from the master files or tapes and converted to MP3s before they can send them.

You want the time code on the cameras to match what the time code is on whichever channel the transcription house prefers for the MP3 (program on the other channel).

Any of the little recorders that we often discuss here will work well for this.  If you don't have adapter cables with proper attenuation for the time code channel, then a recorder that has separate channel level adjustments is your best choice.

John B., CAS

Thanks John, so now I'm thinking sending TC via Comteks to each camera, while recording on my Fusion a TC channel and Mono Mix. I would just have to convert the two to .mp3 on my Mac at the end of day. 

I use a Tascam DR-1 for quick non timecode MP3 transcriptions, or my 744t files if timecode is required, it's a long time since I recorded one audio and one timecode track, I think it was back in the mini disc days. I was thinking of buy BWF Widget pro to convert the 744t files to MP3's with the timecode still embedded, has anyone used this with any success?

It's a matter of checking with the establishment that will be doing the transcription.  They ALL have different requirements...I basically deal with one place, and they have no problem with embedded TC, 64kps recording and the upload of the mp3 are very fast on their www site. 

my .02

cleve

I forgot that I had a MicrotrackII in my closet, I guess that would work for quick record to .mp3.  Will TC stamped to a .wav file carry through correctly when converted to .mp3 (I never tried it)?  If so, why the need for a separate TC track if you're able to stamp the mono mix?

EXACTLY...if you have a recorder t

hat will time stamp, no need for the extra recorder and TC to the left and audio to the right.  Although if the client wants the files uploaded soon after recording, you might not have time to take out the laptop and convert to mp3!  The workflow came about BEFORE there were recorders that would timestamp, well at least recorders that were practical and not too expensive.  So the TC to left track was how it was done.  I for one wait for the day there is a small recorder with TC that will do mp3 and BWF.  So when I do need to upload in a hurry, I can after recording in mp3 or push a button and have a two track BWF recorder when I need it.  the ZFR machines come close, but having to convert from .zax to mp3 is often something I don't have the time to do. 

cleve

Its seems you might be over thinking this...

You have a 3 camera shoot and the client wants mp3 transcription with TC...

First accomplish your TC sync with the 2 ex3 cameras...Then take TC out of the last camera and feed that to ch 1 of your recorder, then a mono mix on ch 2.

You arent syncing your MP3 recorder, you are simply recording the TC as outputted audio for the transcription how to to read. YES you can jam sync your recorder if it has that option, but there is no need for discreet audio in this particular case. Keep it simple.

You will want to record your audio as MP3. Dont start as a WAV and crunch it down...The transcription softwares will choke on that.

Your microtrack II should work just fine in this case. You will need to pad down the TC signal or it will bleed to ch2.

By the way...I'm sure you know, but most consumer rated cameras do not have TC let alone TC in/out..so you will need to use a clapboard or something to sync that 3rd camera.

Good luck!

I thought the 552 can record both MP3 files and WAV files.?  I haven't experimented with the 552 MP3 file setting yet yet, but I know it also timecode stamps or replaces left/right audio with a timecode track.  Your choice.

Yep, the 552 will do 4 MP3 bitrates, 64, 128, 192 and 302k.

Pretty sure it does, but I'll do a test and post to clarify.....unless someone beats me to it :P

Audacity does not support embedded timecode.  I have used it in the past this way:  program material on track one (WAV), timecode on track two (WAV),  convert to mp3 with Audacity.  Since it is a sound editor,  it is easy to lop off material from a false start,  or camera battery change. 

It is open source and it could be updated sometime in the future.

ao