ART Syncgen word clock any good??

julian

Julian,

You might be better off clocking the Fireface 800 via wordclock from the 744T and then slaving the Octopre via Lightpipe I/O from the Fireface 800 as Phil Perkins suggested in your earlier thread. A $100 master wordclock may well be of dubious stability.

Best regards,

Jim

Do you have any specs on the accuracy the ART box?  In my research, SD's clocks are just about the most accurate available to us.

phil p

... And if you must go with an external clock source, give this one a shot:

http://blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=3

Black Lion started off performing high-grade modifications to studio interfaces, but have recently made their work available in a stand-alone format. All for $500! They are a small, independently minded company who makes a great product.

... And if you must go with an external clock source, give this one a shot:

http://blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=3

Black Lion started off performing high-grade modifications to studio interfaces, but have recently made their work available in a stand-alone format. All for $500! They are a small, independently minded company who makes a great product.

I didn't see a spec on this link that's relevant to my work--like how much drift over a certain of time, the way other clocks are quoted  (ie, Ambient Lockit: +- .5 PPM) etc..  This could be a great clock or not, but I'd never bet on it w/o seeing a spec like that so I could compare it to what else is out there.  Have you used this clock? 

phil p 

Hey Phil,

I haven't used their stand-alone box, but I have used digi hardware modded by BLA and the improvements were noticeable.

I can't speak to this units specs, however... Just thought I would put it out there as an option to look into.

The folks over at black lion, from what I understand, are pretty helpful. Since they do all of their own circuit design/construction, I'm sure they would be able and happy to disclose the more specific specifications of their products. I agree though, it would be nice to have that info posted on the product page.

Julian,

You might be better off clocking the Fireface 800 via wordclock from the 744T and then slaving the Octopre via Lightpipe I/O from the Fireface 800 as Phil Perkins suggested in your earlier thread. A $100 master wordclock may well be of dubious stability.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeh thats what I figured, but I have just read up that its not good to chain clocks rather have a source with multiple outs.

Lightpipe might be an option for the octopre, would this be more stable than using the word out of the FF800 into the octopre?

Yeh thats what I figured, but I have just read up that its not good to chain clocks rather have a source with multiple outs.

Lightpipe might be an option for the octopre, would this be more stable than using the word out of the FF800 into the octopre?

You can chain two devices together for clock--I've done it countless times, and it is an approved technique from the makers of the gear I use mostly.  3 and beyond is not a good idea according to them.  You can clock w/ the Lightpipe too--on MOTU stuff the clock is the same.  I don't know if there is a diff on RME.

I too wish BLA would post some usable specs about their clock, the price is right.  I've heard their audio mods and am a little skeptical of the whole idea of what they are doing to prosumer gear....thus my interest in the real PPM spec of their clock if I was going to use it.

phil p