Bad NP-F970 (style) battery.

minister

Hey gang,

I think one of my Li-ion batetries went dead for my Sound Devices.  It is an off-brand NP-F970 battery.  I don't remember which one and the battery itself does not say.

What happens is you install it into either a SD 702 or 744T and the light on the SD unit blinks for a bit then turns solid indicating that it is fully charged.  When I disconnect AC, the unit will not power up.  If I turn on unit with AC attached, then pull the AC, unit shuts off. My other 3 batteries work just fine.

I am assuming that this is toast and I should just pitch it and get a new one.  Anyone one have luck with re-conditioning these kind of batteries?  Do people try to salvage these things?  Or give them up for dead?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I am assuming that this is toast and I should just pitch it and get a new one.  Anyone one have luck with re-conditioning these kind of batteries?  Do people try to salvage these things?  Or give them up for dead.

Tom

If you have a suitable charger that has a real conditioning/charge cycle that can be run, it certainly wouldn't hurt to put the "bad" battery through it and see if you can bring it back. It may of course actually be dead, toast as you put it, but I wouldn't write it off until you try and bring it back (unless it is such no name off brand that it was so cheap you should just throw it out).