FCC dedicating two channels for wireless microphones??

Derek H

Hey group,

I just finished reading an article in this weeks Economist about white space devices and the FCC and was a little disturbed by what I read: 

(paraphrasing)

1:  The FCC has dropped the requirement for white space devices to use spectrum "sensing" technology to avoid interference and to rely solely on online databases of used channels.  This is due to the complexities and cost-prohibitiveness of the sensing tech.

and

2:  That two channels will be dedicated to "wireless microphone" users. 

When the hell did this happen??  Can anyone confirm this?  The FCC website is a mess to navigate.

...ok then which channels have been reserved for wireless mics?

Between 470 and 698, varying by location is what I've seen.

"The FCC agreed to put aside two UHF TV channels of bandwidth in every city specifically for wireless mics. It appears that these spaces may change slightly from city to city based on what spectrum is currently being used there. Generally, these will cluster around channel 37, which is reserved for radio telescopes. "

Link

Between 470 and 698, varying by location is what I've seen.

"The FCC agreed to put aside two UHF TV channels of bandwidth in every city specifically for wireless mics. It appears that these spaces may change slightly from city to city based on what spectrum is currently being used there. Generally, these will cluster around channel 37, which is reserved for radio telescopes. "

Link

That seems to be everything from Ch 14 to 51. Ch 37 is 608-614. Isn't that pretty much what we have now?

Eric

" .ok then which channels have been reserved for wireless mics? "

it depends...

"  It appears that these spaces may change slightly from city to city based on what spectrum is currently being used there. "

these spaces will change slightly from city to city based on what spectrum is currently being used there.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, group, we are currently using 35 UHF stations for our work (14 thru 55, minus ch 37), so why am I supposed to be happy that two UHF stations are going to be reserved for wireless mics? Am I missing something here?

The FCC isn't concerned with YOUR happiness, you unlicensed interloper, you..... 

I love that they say that 2 UHF chans will be reserved for wireless mics, but don't say WHICH two. 

phil p