Rode Ntg3

JustinG

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very surprised to hear that people are having problems with the NTG-3. I bought one last year, and I couldn't be happier with it. As others have noted, it sounds very similar to a 416. It doesn't sound noticeably thinner to me, despite others' complaints. And the sweet spot is definitely wider, which is a big plus in my book.

I've never had any problems with RFI or handling noise. In fact, with a Rycote Invision-7 shock mount, it barely picks up any handling noise at all. I've even been able to get away with adjusting the pole length during takes a few times.

I'm very surprised to hear that people are having problems with the NTG-3. I bought one last year, and I couldn't be happier with it. As others have noted, it sounds very similar to a 416. It doesn't sound noticeably thinner to me, despite others' complaints. And the sweet spot is definitely wider, which is a big plus in my book.

I've never had any problems with RFI or handling noise. In fact, with a Rycote Invision-7 shock mount, it barely picks up any handling noise at all. I've even been able to get away with adjusting the pole length during takes a few times.

I quite agree Adam. It seems the only people really complaining are the ones who don't own one. 416 enthusiasts who don't like the idea of a different mic sounding the same for half the price. I've had mine for going on 2 years, and have has no problems. I even used it on a PBS documentary and nobody said, "Hey that mic sounded thin!" It sounds nice and full to me. Maybe there were some people with issues, but with every product you're going to get some defective ones. I've heard one guy complaining of issues with the mic, and rode just sent him a new one. That's annother thing, Rode has great customer service. Got a problem? Write them and they will respond quickly and do what it takes to make you happy. That's what I've seen at least. PS I love my Rycote Softie Lyre Mount With CCA (Camera Clamp Adapter) It works on my camera, or on a boom pole, The Lyre stuff is really great! But back to mics now...

Thanks Chad for making that video.  I looked at a bunch of others videos you've done and thought they were very informative.  I posted a bunch on my Facebook business page.

I'm going to pick one up for sure now.  I now own two 416's but I'd like to add the NTG-3 to my kit.

I am also very happy with rycote's lyre mounts.  It's so unlike them to make something at a fair price that works.

Nice tests Chad thanks for that.

I own an NTG-3 and I have never had rf problems with it.

I just ordered an HM Plug on for wireless boom. I was not aware that the phase reverse barrel was required for the NTG-3.

Why is it needed? Does the ntg3 have the same problem as the earthworks mic?

I found this on Lectro site:

Description: Polarity-reversing (pin 2 to 3 , 3 to 2) XLR barrel adapter used with HM and UH400 transmitters. Commonly used with some Earthworks test mics to reduce current draw and excess noise.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/6-21750/View-details.html

Thanks Chad for making that video.  I looked at a bunch of others videos you've done and thought they were very informative.  I posted a bunch on my Facebook business page.

I'm going to pick one up for sure now.  I now own two 416's but I'd like to add the NTG-3 to my kit.

I am also very happy with rycote's lyre mounts.  It's so unlike them to make something at a fair price that works.

Cool Justan! Thanks for the kind words. I'll be doing a little Rycote video once I get my hands on their new Protable Recorder Suspension. I have the ENG Kit, the Camcorder Clamp Mount (Which I use on everything now because it can clamp in the camera or screw to a boom pole or stand) and the Recorder Lyre thing coming. Really nice gear and not too pricey. Their ENG Kit's wind protection is better than their softie as far as db of wind being cut, yet it's cheaper. Imagine that! I've even been giving them feedback to develop their Lyre on the ENG kit so when using an NTG3 with the Windscreen it won't droop. It was just a matter of milimeters in the placement of one lyre that made all the difference. It does not droop on the CCA.

It doesn't mean that the mic is wired out of phase -- it has to do with how the phantom power is derived.  The Oktava shares this situation.  They're not out of phase but require the powering legs to be reversed in order to use a Lectro Butt Plug.  So, then if you need to put the mic back in phase with any other mics it's used with, you'll need to reverse the phase again at the receiver's output or in the console it feeds.

There is also the new AT BP4073 shotgun, I wonder how it compares to the NTG3, as I guess it is in a similar league budget-wise...

It is pretty sensitive (35.5 mV/Pa) and the inherent noise and SNR is similar to a Schoeps (13 dB / 81 dB). No idea about how it sounds, sensitivity to interference and moisture, etc

I've used the 416 a few times, and may have even considered buying it during one of the specials that Sennheiser had a while back, but after getting an NTG-3 a year ago I've been very happy with its performance. Again, I don't have as much experience as I feel like I'd need to tell you if it's better or worse than a lot of other mics out there, but I am pleased with its reach, response, resistance to the elements, and sensitivity to handling noise.

• 1 year later...

Looking at the first posts, it's weird that the NTG-3 would pick up RF. I believe it's supposed to be even more RFI-resistant than the 416 (since it's a more recent microphone). And it is basically a copy using the same rf-biased technology so it should be just as resistant at the least. 

Sawrab

Looking at the first posts, it's weird that the NTG-3 would pick up RF. I believe it's supposed to be even more RFI-resistant than the 416 (since it's a more recent microphone). And it is basically a copy using the same rf-biased technology so it should be just as resistant at the least.

Sawrab

Not saying anything bad about Rode, I think they're a good company, but...

I disagree with the above statement. I expect an original product with a long and venerable history, made by a highly respected and extremely experienced company, to be better than a copy.

I'm with John, it's an odd supposition to think that a cheap copy will perform better than the original.

I have both, IMMO the NTG3 isn't a cheap copy or rip off from the MKH416.

The NTG3 is a very high quality build microphone I guess on par with the MKH416, shares the same polarization technique but sounds very different, to my taste I like so much the NTG3.

I have both, IMMO the NTG3 isn't a cheap copy or rip off from the MKH416.

The NTG3 is a very high quality build microphone I guess on par with the MKH416, shares the same polarization technique but sounds very different, to my taste I like so much the NTG3.

Just to be clear I never referred to the NTG3 as a "cheap copy."

I spoke well of Rode, but did use the word "copy" as it is my understanding that the design criteria of the mic was to duplicate the appeal of the 416 at a bit lower price. 

Someone assumed that the NTG3 would have lower RF pickup due to it being a newer mic and I was disputing that as an automatic assumption.

From everything I've heard it's a quality mic, but there's a great deal more to RF insensitivity than newness -- thus my post.

I like the NTG-3 when I need to put a boom in the hands of a less than stellar boom op, nice and forgiving pattern. No problems with handeling noise in Rycote Lyre softie mount. Sometimes it works well indoors where the 416 doesn't and you need a little more reach than the 50. For me the biggest draw back to this mic is when talent shouts it gets a little fizzy in the top end... Definitely has earned it's place in the kit, though.  

Plus, I find it to actually be .00673% less purple.

Not saying anything bad about Rode, I think they're a good company, but...

I disagree with the above statement. I expect an original product with a long and venerable history, made by a highly respected and extremely experienced company, to be better than a copy.

Sorry about the "newer mic" statement. That's not what I meant by that. I just meant that Rode made an issue out of the NTG-3's RF rejection when they began selling it. It was the first time I even heard about this feature early in my sound career. I also think I read that they specifically tried to improve the shielding versus the 416, but admittedly I cannot find the article (not sure what to google-search for). This is all I meant by newer, as in they updated the design more recently than the 416. Just a bad choice of words. My apologies. 

Sennheiser's awesome I know, but I have heard accounts of Sennheiser's other microphones in the MKH series having RF problems but never the 416. Being that the 416 is over 30 years old (the design I mean) it's surprising that it endures. I honestly have no idea how RF rejection works from microphone to microphone since we only hear about it through accounts by the recordists on this site and elsewhere. The only thing we do know is that the 416 will work every time. Even I have encountered this, and I haven't even been doing sound for that long.... The 416 is one of those...lucky designs I guess. Lucky even by Sennheiser. Do you think it will ever go out of circulation? 

EDIT:

Yes I know MKH and RF condensor microphones reject RF more. But even among these designs, RF rejection seems to vary. 

After hearing both, I really do think Rode addressed some of the complaints I've heard about the 416. They added more bass to the NTG-3 (416 has that built-in roll-off) and loosened the pattern to make it more versatile for interiors and amateurs at whom I'm sure it's directed. And it costs $300 less. They know their market. 

Sawrab

Edited by srab1138

I've used the Rode NTG3 for 4 years and the MKH416 off and on but always liked the sound of the NTG3 more. It's reach isn't as far and rejection isn't quite as good which sucks for non-narrative stuff but on narratives my boom op's like it more so since it has a wider pickup and like me they appreciate what we feel seems to be a little smoother on the high end, thus more forgiving in many situations. It might have similar sonic characteristics but the NTG3 is definitely not a copy. BTW, I have never ever had RFI with this mic.

I purchased a RODE NTG-3 primarily as a back-up mic for extremely wet or humid environments.  It's really impervious to the elements. No RF issues with it where I'm located, but it rarely comes out of my bag.  It's not my go to mic.

My two cents if I were in your shoes is you're a step ahead if you duplicate your mics and go with a second 416 (used or new) and get your current 416 repaired.  If you ever need two identical mics then you have immediate access to them.

If your second mic choice is strictly a back up mic only that will rarely leave your bag then the NTG-3 is a good option.  Not the equal of the 416, but similar. 

If you're after an alternate mic altogether then let your own ears and budget pick what works best for you.