Opinions please about the Audio Developments AD-146 Mixer

Tom Maloney

Hi Folks first of all thanks for all the info and help given to me by a lot of you over the past year. My question? Is the Audio Developments AD-146 Mixer, that I am told is 12 years old to obsolete for todays work environment? I have have been having jobs that suddenly have a need for more than the 4 inputs on my SD442. I would also like to have some eq control. Is under 4k a fair price for this mixer and finally , service in the USA? I currently have a bag setup and most of the jobs turn out to be something where I can sit at a cart not run and gun. I am thinking I could output from this mixer to my 442 thus keeping the 2 return snakes I already have and not having to purchase 2 new snakes. Your thoughts are appreciated. please note, I am working interviews and such not any Indies or features.

Thanks to all and Happy New Year

Tom

As a Brit... I feel somewhat qualified to answer this....

Audio Developments are THE British built mixers. They are as solid as you could ever hope for, are reliable, sensibly laid out, adaptable, and electronically dependable. They are the 'Cooper Sound' of the UK. They sould great, have shedloads of headroom, and the limiters sound good. I ran a 146, before I ran a 149, before I ran a Cameo, before I ran a Mix 12/Deva combo...

There might lay the rub.... they are just slightly long in the tooth these days. That said - they are still current product, and AD are still selling them, so they aint finished yet!!!

Is one worth $4k to you - I couldnt possibly answer that, but I can say that they are proper, solid, mixers.... built to last forever... and sound great.

Compliments of the season to you!!!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

I liked my AD145 a lot.  I think the AD mixers are very well made, with very high quality parts (esp faders, switches and xformers) and they aren't so complex that you wouldn't be able to get service done by a good tech, esp if you got the schematics and parts lists.  You didn't say how many inputs this AD mixer had (4? 6? 8? more?) and if it had any options (limiters etc) and the full-length or the short faders--all these affect the price.  $4k might be kind of high for a 12 yr old AD, depending on how much abuse it has had......  If you have that much money $ to spend there are some other mixers you could consider.....

phil p

Hi Folks first of all thanks for all the info and help given to me by a lot of you over the past year. My question? Is the Audio Developments AD-146 Mixer, that I am told is 12 years old to obsolete for todays work environment? I have have been having jobs that suddenly have a need for more than the 4 inputs on my SD442. I would also like to have some eq control. Is under 4k a fair price for this mixer and finally , service in the USA? I currently have a bag setup and most of the jobs turn out to be something where I can sit at a cart not run and gun. I am thinking I could output from this mixer to my 442 thus keeping the 2 return snakes I already have and not having to purchase 2 new snakes. Your thoughts are appreciated. please note, I am working interviews and such not any Indies or features.

Thanks to all and Happy New Year

Tom

My ear says that the Audio Developments is better than Cooper.

Bié