Antenna Cable

Daniel McIntosh

This was not really an option back when this thread was started in 2010, but seeing as it was freshly bumped up, I thought I'd  mention it now:

If I was in a scenario where I knew I'd need 100ft of cabling, then I'd probably just use DANTE to remote my receivers much closer to set. (as I use 2x Venue1 or a Lectro Octopack, then I'd need a converter to DANTE, such as a Ferrofish PULSE16 DX. Then either upgrade my Sound Devices 833 to an 888, or get myself another to be converted back to analogue at the recorder end)

Then I just need a simple CAT cable to run it back to me. And I could easily go double, or even triple, the distance. So plenty of margin of safety to go further than 100ft if the situation called for it. 

Remoting antennas might still be the better approach for many other people, but worth consider the DANTE approach as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:37 AM, Ben B said:

Hi Marco

I ended up getting 25m of it and i put it on a drum. I thought it was flexibel enough not damage it on a drum. I'll try it in november, i guess i'll see if i was wrong with the flexibility... 

all the specifications that i have seen for antenna cable have the smallest radius that the cable can safely handle listed.  this is dependent on what the core is made of.  if your drum has a small diameter than the cable is rated for,  avoid it.  

(my daughter lived in zurich for 6 years, but lives in klosters now)

17 minutes ago, ao said:

all the specifications that i have seen for antenna cable have the smallest radius that the cable can safely handle listed.  this is dependent on what the core is made of.  if your drum has a small diameter than the cable is rated for,  avoid it.  

(my daughter lived in zurich for 6 years, but lives in klosters now)

That's great info! Thanks.

I read in the specs that the Hyperflex 7 handle bends down to 68mm in radius. My drum has a 100mm radius at the base so i guess i'm good to go. 

I put everything together last week. I put 3 Cables in a sleeve around the drum and it fits nicely!

On 9/15/2022 at 4:52 AM, IronFilm said:

If I was in a scenario where I knew I'd need 100ft of cabling, then I'd probably just use DANTE to remote my receivers much closer to set. (as I use 2x Venue1 or a Lectro Octopack, then I'd need a converter to DANTE, such as a Ferrofish PULSE16 DX. Then either upgrade my Sound Devices 833 to an 888, or get myself another to be converted back to analogue at the recorder end)

Then I just need a simple CAT cable to run it back to me. And I could easily go double, or even triple, the distance. So plenty of margin of safety to go further than 100ft if the situation called for it. 

Ironfilm if you have a XL-AES adapter for your 833 you could take AES in. 

Using a Cat5e and baluns you can send AES3 over that if your wireless receivers output AES3. up to 8 channels (4 AES3 streams) over 1 Cat5e .

I believe you need shielded Cat5e to get all 4 XLRs available.

Or if you still wanted to use Dante you can with the 833, XL-AES and this:

Audinate - Dante AVIO AES3/EBU, with Dante Pro AV Networking by Audinate

it's PoE so you need to have a network switch providing PoE (or else a PoE injector near the receiver if only 1 receiver) but you also need to power the receivers.

There are also much smaller PoE 4 channel Line Level ADC to Dante boxes available from RDL, Tascam, Shure

Shastapete is correct in that baluns and Cat5e is cheaper and less complicated but if analog possible hum,buzz over long distance. If AES3 output from Receivers and AES3 input at mixer then no hum,buzz.

The cool thing is with those baluns you can usually do 4 XLRs. so you can do analog Mic or Line level, AES, and also with XLR barrels send audio in the other direction if needed for a IFB transmitter or speaker.

Dante = no hum or buzz during transmission to 270ft via Cat5e.

20 hours ago, PCMsoundie said:

Ironfilm if you have a XL-AES adapter for your 833 you could take AES in. 

Using a Cat5e and baluns you can send AES3 over that if your wireless receivers output AES3. up to 8 channels (4 AES3 streams) over 1 Cat5e .

I believe you need shielded Cat5e to get all 4 XLRs available.

Thanks! That's a good point I hadn't considered. 

I had last year been considering using Cat5e cable (with audio being analogue, at line level) for a feature film which would have necessitated sending audio over fairly long-ish distances at a small farm / lifestyle block. (sadly the film never went ahead, but I did instead work on another feature film with the director/writer this year. I hope though the script from last year does eventually get made!)

And I do indeed have the XL-AES (with line level to AES convertors too for it), but I never did consider using AES as a means to double the number of channels I could have with the Cat5e cables. (but then again, for this film I'd usually only have needed three channels of audio per Cat5e cable, and never more than four)