Antenna Cable

Daniel McIntosh

I'm interested to know about the result! I'm looking for a 5m version for my cart and a 20-30 m version to remote my antenna mast.

1 hour ago, vale said:

I also have the Hyperflex 7 for longer run.

Do you mean the Ultraflex 7?

This was not really an option back when this thread was started in 2010, but seeing as it was freshly bumped up, I thought I'd  mention it now:

If I was in a scenario where I knew I'd need 100ft of cabling, then I'd probably just use DANTE to remote my receivers much closer to set. (as I use 2x Venue1 or a Lectro Octopack, then I'd need a converter to DANTE, such as a Ferrofish PULSE16 DX. Then either upgrade my Sound Devices 833 to an 888, or get myself another to be converted back to analogue at the recorder end)

Then I just need a simple CAT cable to run it back to me. And I could easily go double, or even triple, the distance. So plenty of margin of safety to go further than 100ft if the situation called for it. 

Remoting antennas might still be the better approach for many other people, but worth consider the DANTE approach as well. 

Hi Ben

I am also using the Ultraflex7 from messi. Up to 50 Meters all good for extension with some db of gain at the antenna. though, im not using it on a drum, its on the stiffer side. you can have a look at it if you want.

greets m

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:37 AM, Ben B said:

Hi Marco

I ended up getting 25m of it and i put it on a drum. I thought it was flexibel enough not damage it on a drum. I'll try it in november, i guess i'll see if i was wrong with the flexibility... 

all the specifications that i have seen for antenna cable have the smallest radius that the cable can safely handle listed.  this is dependent on what the core is made of.  if your drum has a small diameter than the cable is rated for,  avoid it.  

(my daughter lived in zurich for 6 years, but lives in klosters now)

17 minutes ago, ao said:

all the specifications that i have seen for antenna cable have the smallest radius that the cable can safely handle listed.  this is dependent on what the core is made of.  if your drum has a small diameter than the cable is rated for,  avoid it.  

(my daughter lived in zurich for 6 years, but lives in klosters now)

That's great info! Thanks.

I read in the specs that the Hyperflex 7 handle bends down to 68mm in radius. My drum has a 100mm radius at the base so i guess i'm good to go. 

I put everything together last week. I put 3 Cables in a sleeve around the drum and it fits nicely!