Hidden lavs on the halftime show

Marc Hoppe

I was watching the FOX halftime show and just noticed that the lavs were not clipped on their jackets or ties, but it appears that they were hidden in the tie knots.

Any idea why they would be doing that, rather than just clipping onto the tie like every other studio commentary segment?

Marc

DSCF1480.JPG

post-1752-130815093034_thumb.jpg

post-1752-130815093038_thumb.jpg

They weren't booming- they had a few wide shots with all 5 commentators in the shot.

I just thought it to be an odd thing.  It's a studio, and you see all sorts of production elements in the wide shots and the bumper shots, so why hide the mics?  I've never seen hidden lavs in a studio commentary situation before.

I thought that the mics might have been part of those pins, but when they turn their heads, they still sound on mic, even when they are turned away from the pin.  If you look closely enough, and it may not be seen in the pics, you can see the pocket in the tie knot where the mics are, and I could see the wire coming out of the top of one of the knots.

If they have been doing this for a while, I have not noticed it before.

Marc

A friend of mine post-mixes a major cable cooking show every week, and he's told me before that the producers are adamant that no lavs are visible in any of the shots. I'm perplexed as to why, because it's not a dramatic show (at least, not beyond the drama that goes on in a restaurant kitchen), and to me, the lavs are ignorable.

He told me the producer even rejected white Countryman B6's, which were practically invisible on the chef's coats. Go figure.

As a result, there's all kinds of clothing rustling noise, muffled dialog, all the usual stuff you get with unpredictable, fast-moving situations. But my friend cuts around the problems and the show's ratings are as high as ever, so the audience seems to like it.

--Marc W.

A friend of mine post-mixes a major cable cooking show every week, and he's told me before that the producers are adamant that no lavs are visible in any of the shots. I'm perplexed as to why, because it's not a dramatic show (at least, not beyond the drama that goes on in a restaurant kitchen), and to me, the lavs are ignorable.

He told me the producer even rejected white Countryman B6's, which were practically invisible on the chef's coats. Go figure.

As a result, there's all kinds of clothing rustling noise, muffled dialog, all the usual stuff you get with unpredictable, fast-moving situations. But my friend cuts around the problems and the show's ratings are as high as ever, so the audience seems to like it.

--Marc W.

Bet the producer is a woman.

Eric

Marc W.

My favorite story regarding a BS situation like this was a low budget cooking pilot with talent in a heavy black chefs coat. So I put a black B6 in the button hole. The producer asked me where the mic was so I showed her she then had the camera man do a ECU on the button and she says I can see it. I looked at her like WTF you are never going to zoom in that close. She said what if we did. So began a day of clothing noise........

My favorite story regarding a BS situation like this was a low budget cooking pilot with talent in a heavy black chefs coat. So I put a black B6 in the button hole. The producer asked me where the mic was so I showed her she then had the camera man do a ECU on the button and she says I can see it. I looked at her like WTF you are never going to zoom in that close. She said what if we did. So began a day of clothing noise........

Next time just point somewhere else. Or say "try and find it"

"She said......"

A young inexperienced mouth breather. I rest my case.

Eric

They ask for hidden mics because they feel it ups the production value.  When a producer asks where the mic is, just tell them it is hidden. Don't be too eager with information!  The less they know about what you are doing the more they can can worry about the lighting ;-)

Hiding the mics is a normal thing on most of the work that I do.  I really don't mind it if the wardrobe isn't too noisy.  I don't like seeing the mic either so I'm willing to do what it takes to hide it.  The hidden in plain sight technique is good too.  Outdoors I really prefer to put the mics underneath for the wind protection.  They do it on the NFL show I'm guessing, simply because it looks better, and to my ear it sounds really good.  There is a lot of free form discussion and placing the mics in the tie knot keeps the mics consistently in the center and a little closer to the sound source making it easier to mix on the fly.

Bernie

You need to prevent the mike pulling back into the tie though.

...or prevent the talent or costume fluffer from shoving it up there.

Did a movie last year with a notorious futzer.  He was always messing with his tie between takes.  End result... a massive close-up with at least a 1/4" of mic poking out.  Didn't notice it on the day, but I sure saw it on a 70ft wide screen.  Obviously the editor missed it too, or it would have been easily painted out.

Robert

Not seeing mics is like the movies. Seeing mics is like the news. Obviously these reality show producers think they're making a movie.

Eric

This makes me laugh!  I was working on a reality show and had a man wearing an ever so starchy dress shirt.  I had to futs around with his "hidden" lav. for sometime.  When I came to a point and said forget get it, i popped my white B6 out of a button and surely 5 sec. later.  Cam op B on walkie goes, I see the mic.  I was like really, white b6 on white shirt. I replied on walkie.  It's a reality show, here guys.  I'm sure the audience will not be staring at his button on his shirt.  Left it and sounded 100x better!!!