PSC Elite pole VS K-Tek Klassic or Avalon

Jon Gilbert

Now, here's the thing, I need some advice, I want to buy a new pole, but can't get to any dealers to handle them, as I live in the frozen North. One dealer I know has the PSC Elite in stock, with the internal coiled cable, and another dealer is due to get the K-Tek Klassic and Avalon in stock soon..... (both with internal coiled cables)

Price wise there's not much in it, I'm after one that extends to 9 feet, so both manufacturers have a model to suit.

I'm impatient and might get the PSC, but does anyone have any comments, positive or negative about either pole.

Then again, I might just buy another Ambient, the one I've got is ten years old and going strong......

I compared all three brands (K-Tek, PSC and Ambient) before buying mine and in my case it was a tossup between the Ambient (QX series, much lighter than their QP series and still rigid enough for most work/lenghts IMO) and the PSC. I went for the Ambient because it was slightly longer and I liked the locking mechanism a little better, although the PSC was a tad lighter.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with any of these.

Note that it might be easier to find spare parts for PSC and K-Tek since both companies are based in the US.

Anyone know what kind of finish the ambient poles have?  I'm fond of the smooth gloss finish that my old model vdb has.  The dry, flat finish of the k-teks always seems noisy to me but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Also, how is that connector on the bottom of the ambient coiled model?  It seems kind of goofy to me how the cable just hangs out the side.  And it seems like it would add an annoying section on the end that would be awkward to handle. 

Any user feedback?

Ps - this is all in reference to the qx model

Hi Derek,

The QX series does have a smooth shiny finish, it feels almost like plastic.

I haven't used a VDB in years but I'd say the feel is pretty similar and doesn't generate much noise at all when handling it. Coupled with the invision shockmount you really have to get rough in order to get noticeable handling noise.

I attached a picture of mine so that you could have a better idea of the finish.

cuboom.jpg

They are all good buys.  I would stick with the Klassics if you go for K-tek though.  The Avalon is ok, but the collars aren't as sturdy, and it won't take long for the pole to flex under the weight of the mic and shock mount.  Not a huge problem, but it can make retracting and extending the pole a bit tough while being held horizontal.

I own a 9ft carbon Avalon with internal coiled cable.  Use to have 2.  Sold one and got a Loon, which I love, but they seem to be having some business troubles last time I checked.  The Loon is another great boom pole (IMO) if you can get your hands on one.

Jason Hemmerlin

Jason, thanks for the tip on the difference between the two K-Teks, I had been wondering.

I can't imagine working with an Ambient pole with their cable system, it looks a total pain in the arse, which is why I'm considering these other brands, it's a shame because I love my current Ambient pole.

Thanks for the help everybody, I think PSC win purely by being in stock!

" a typical brand/ model that where emphasizing light weight materials. Like the aluminum poles? "

yes, all of them, including graphite and carbon fibre poles; you must look at the individual spec's on each model (of each brand) for it's weight, and make your comparisons.

there is no "lighter brand"

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to chime in and give a nod to Loon booms. They are my favourite.

http://www.loonaudio.com/

As light if not lighter then most others. Replaceable tip and the smallest diameter tube is still large enough to fit a pre-wired xlr cable down, in case you need to replace a bad internal cable fast.

I really like the base-mate and wing, which allows you to safely put the end of the boom down on the ground without putting any weight on the audio connector. It would also help keep a wireless transmiter out of harms way.

They are definetly worth a look if you're in the market for a new pole.

Thanks Simon, I'm back to square one, as the UK stockist didn't have the PSC Elite pole I wanted in stock, so I think I'm going to hold out for a K-Tek Klassik which should be arriving in the UK very very soon. I'd be interested in a Loon, but they appear to be almost impossible to obtain in the UK.

I have a 9 foot PSC Elite with an internal cable with a side exit XLR output. Before I got this pole I had used an inexpensive K-Tek with a coiled cable.

I've been happy with the Elite. The thing I like best is that the collars only require a short twist or two in order to move and lock. I wish it had a rubber cap option for the base, as I recall seeing on some Loon poles. The internal cable recently crapped out on me, after only a year and a half of "weekend warrior" use. I was kind of surprised that the internal cable died, as I always go out of my way to treat my gear as gingerly as possible. Is this a normal lifespan for an internal cable? Anyhow, I've just used an external cable on the last few jobs I've worked on, and I've liked that workflow better. All in all I give the PSC Elite a thumbs up.

Booming the past few years i've used ambient, loon, vdb, etc...all have their merits but I've been using a psc elite coiled internal cable with the right angle base for a few years now and it's still my go to pole for all around use. Collars are great, easy to untwist the cable and relatively quiet. Personally i won't use coiled internal on anything longer than '12 as in my experience it adds weight and cable noise but it's all subjective. Second choice would be Ambient. Own a longer, newer k tek that doesn't seem as smooth as the older models, and also a short cabled Avalon pole as well for ENG.

All seem easy to clean and maintain but still the PSC stands out for me.

My $0.02

" I'd like to chime in and give a nod to Loon booms. "

has anyone actually communicated with them this year ??

I just received a new 17'6" Penta boom in late December (ordered it before Thanksgiving).  Loon Audio moved their shop from Montana to southern California.  Don't use their toll free number.  I had no luck trying to reach Loon Audio in September and November until I came across the contact information listed below.  Once I used the 951.676.3600 phone number I got a hold of Don whenever I needed to speak to him.  No problems getting my order whatsoever.

Loon Works

43234 Business Park Drive, #101

Temecula, CA 92590

951.676.3600 phone

951.676.3611 fax

sales@loonworks.com

I haven't used the PSC Elite but I've heard a lot of positive feedback from guys who use them.  I do own an older K-Tek Klassic, K-Tek Avalon and a new Loon Penta.  At my last position we used an aluminum Avalon.  It's a great pole if you have a number of people who will be using it.  Never had an issue with the Avalon other than weight.  If you have small hands or prefer smaller diameter poles, you may prefer the K-Tek Klassic over the slightly larger O.D. of the Loon.  I do prefer the side XLR mount of the K-Tek over the Loon Wing for use with a cable.  Big advantage of the Loon Wing is when you use a wireless transmitter.  But I have to confess . . . I love my Loon.