any 552 gotchas or info?

Michael McQueen

i'm pulling the trigger on a 552 next week. i've been looking over all of the provided pdf's online from SD to get myself ready for it. This thing is going to be leaps and bounds of crazy tech goodness compared to my previous M4mkII. So i'm wondering if any of you 552 users have any "heads up" or tid bits of helpful info for this 552 n00b.

thanks!

If you are ever using it to mix audio to a camera, disable "return metering". If the shooter adjusts the volume to their liking, it will throw off the accuracy of your meters. On some cameras with two headphone jacks, plugging into both simultaneously will also attenuate the HP return (again, compromising the accuracy of your meters).

The zoom metering can also catch you off guard from time to time, so if something seems funny, look for that little blue LED.

Enjoy it. I love mine.

-Wyatt

Make sure the record activity LED is out/off before powering down the mixer.

If you don't, you will end up with corrupt files.

Also, keep an eye on the PFL. Sometimes you can forget a channel PFL is latched on and have a

PFL WTF moment!!

Join the SD forum if you haven't already. There is plenty of good info there too.

It's a great piece if kit. You will love it.

Cheers

Peter Mega

I just got mine in the past week.  I'm loving it so far.  Having the sd card slot on the back is a bit of a pain, but I am getting use to it.  Having the recorder is great!  Its already saved my ass a few times.

But thanks for all the great tips already.  Please keep them coming.

I just got mine in the past week.  I'm loving it so far.  Having the sd card slot on the back is a bit of a pain, but I am getting use to it.  Having the recorder is great!  Its already saved my ass a few times.

But thanks for all the great tips already.  Please keep them coming.

This will fix your SD card issue

http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/SOU552ADPSD.html

While some people have had trouble with them, I've had the Tomaras-brand extender in my 552-centric setup for over a year with no glitches or corrupt files. Great guy too; got it directly from the source.

All the big gotchas have been mentioned, PFL what thes, let the unit write everything to the card before powering down etc.

One thing I really like is the ability to flip over to external power from the internal batteries (or vice versa) without the unit having to shut off (if you do it in one fell swoop.)

I've had to deal with the corrupt/missing files issue and its a major pain in the ass and disappointment when it happens.  I second that you really need to pay attention to the card activity indicator before snapping the power off, there is no soft-off/safe shutdown provision like with the 7xx machines.

Test your media before trusting it.  I was never able to determine if the problems I encountered were user error or card incompatibility.

That said, its a great machine and a nice blend of analog and digital tech

If you can, bring your old mixer along with the new. It is probably less of an issue with an analog mixer like the 552, but we regularly talk to customers who are taking products like a 7-Series recorder on its first gig with no prior experience with it and expect to be fluent. All gear has nuances and it is important to get the feel for it. For instance, a 552 is just different enough from a 442, especially gain structure and metering, that some sandboxing is helpful.

I just got my twitter tip of the day :)

yeah i'll have a mixpre on hand with me. its a fairly simple shoot. 1 talent talking head, boom and lav. I'll be sending to camera(af100) but i'm going to record sound with it anyway just to test that out.

but i've got an empty weekend thats now full of experimenting with the 552.

I've been going over the manual and have watched the youtube videos that SD has put up to get myself a bit more familiar with it. doing my best to cover all my bases!

There is a learning curve with it.  Been using mine everyday for over a week.  I'm feeling pretty good with it. And loving it.

Also using wireless timecode with it.  Working awesome.

I hate SVEN.  Takes awhile to understand him.  I guess SD didn't have any mics or way of recording a human voice.

Wyatt's advice regarding disabling return metering is quite valid but I just want to point out that if you're getting a return signal from a 5 pin output on a camera like the DigiBeta, its not an issue. You can set your return levels and have accurate metering whilst monitoring the return signal.

The SD card slot on the bottom is not a problem for me. I use a petrol bag which zips down the sides and the whole back of the bag opens. Then just slightly tilt the mixer to remove/insert the SD card. I only use it for back up (I have a 788T for hard drive shoots) so the card stays in there for a week or so anyway. Having said that, I've only heard good things about the Charles Tomaras card extender but I dont feel the need to use one.

SVEN does take some getting used to but its alot better than looking at the chart to find the setting you're after. The 552 passes audio whilst in the menu too, so you can change settings on the run.

Michael, let us know how you get on with your new mixer and if you have any more questions.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Congratulations, it is an excellent and deep unit.  I really like mine.

Some other tips and bugaboos not mentioned yet (except for SVEN):

• Obviously, read the manual cover to cover.  It is well done and tells you what you need to know.
  • Turn of the Digital Outputs if you don't need them, it saves on battery life.
  • I also hate SVEN.  So, learn the menu options you need to change.  (for me, that is very few). You understand SVEN once you get used to it, but there are times if I don't pay attention to what he MIGHT be saying, I lose him.
  • As much as I like Sound Devices bags for the recorders -- well built, good looking, nice extras -- , the one for the 552 + Recorder (CS-5) could be a lot better.  I had to put a piece of (Pelica Case) foam in between the recorder and the bag wall.  I use mine with a 744T, and, yes, I realize it was made for the 788T, I was told it would be the bag to get.  I wish they had a bag for a 744 + 552.  I had to get my own velcro to attach to the 744 & the bag. (I know, I know, boo hoo..) If you sit the 744 up to where its face is at the same height as the 552, it is difficult to reach the dials and connectors on the side.  To reach the menu dial, I have to go from on top.  Same with the headphone volume.  Not a deal breaker, but I woud look at another bag if you use your 552 with a recorder to see if it suits you better.
  • Maybe look at the Kortwich bag, I will.  (That is, if you plan to bag it.)