Always nice to feel appreciated

ProSound

a- D5 MARK II could  record good audio  for the price it worth, just use external preamp and run hot -40 db  mic level to its input .

b - you can monitor recording  with magic lantern software which not only  show you the audio on screen but also enable E TO E  line out , so you can hook your headphones or use  return on your mixer during the recording

c- these  who don't like what i write may  continue  tell stories about disasters - maybe one day  someone will make a movie about :-)

d- that producer  need make a lawsuit  against the camera  operator who did ruin the day shoot  by not know how to operate the camera  .

e - Whitney , you can send my letter to her, so she will know how to avoid you next time :-)

All that's possible, but almost all of the jobs I work on w/ the 5D involve multiple cameras (as many as 7) and are very kinetic--everything hand-held and moving, bloop slates or no slates, so hooking up anything but a wireless RX to the camera is pretty impossible, and I've had to be persuasive even to get that sometimes (they object to the RX until the director wants to see a playback with sound...oops, forgot about that!).  I run the back up/isos whatever and they do whatever they want in post.  In my own post work I've been pretty unimpressed with the sound the camera records vs. an outboard recorder, but then again all those tiny "burrito-cam" HD camcorders sound pretty lousy too.  I just posted something shot by a one-man-band filmmaker who recorded on one of the lesser Canon DSLRs w/ Magic Lantern, and was careful and monitored what he was doing (simple interviews)--it was ok.

phil p

Phillip everything grate when you need multiple microphones , 10 cameras and be out of the way to work double system , but here we are dealing with    one on one interview and one stupid operator , so the grate celebration of this board is make me laugh , especially they grate ears on mr  Kennedy test .

burito camera - each of these burito cameras a bit more sufistecated then the recorder you or i  work with, and since its mass product ,from some reason it cost less  :-)

Those cameras are marvelously sophisticated indeed, but they still sound terrible.  Maybe they should give them digital audio inputs.

p