Canon 5D MkII Timecode Notes

Adam Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Every version of 7D firmware has video rates.  i.e. 30 means 29.97, 24 means 23.976.

-Robert

Are you sure?  When the camera was first being used on shoots a few years ago I recall doing "true 30" for 30 fps on both 7D and 5D.  But that's all history now anyway, thankfully. 

Question--do the lesser Canon DSLRs, ie smaller more consumer types, do the same trick (ie 24=23.98, 30= 29.97)?

phil p

when the 5d mkii first came out it was straight up 30p, not 29.97. then the 7d came out and had proper video frame rates(23.98, 29.97, 59.94) and then 5d users raised hell so canon fixed that with a firmware update and gave the camera 23.98 and 29.97.

and yes, t2i, t3i, 60d all have proper video frame rates.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did a little project that used the Canon EOS T2i, which is the little brother of the EOS-D5 and D7. Same deal as the D7: 23.98 frame rate for HD video, non-defeatable AGC in the consumer mike-level input. I used the Beachtek DXA-5DA and had no problems giving them a scratch track, but I did insist on them using real tracks from a 744t. No sync issues so far. Pictures look surprisingly good -- certainly good enough for broadcast, assuming some tweaking in post.

Back to Adam's original question: I definitely would not advise using dropframe timecode in this situation without a conversation with the editor and those instructions in writing. I strongly, strongly advise them not to use dropframe except as a delivery format for the final piece, and only if it was shot at 29.97. All the stuff I see is shot at 23.98. But it's a concern nowadays as to how many users are not aware of the differences between 24.00 and 23.98...

--Marc W.

Do you send Audio to the 5D? We use R1a Receivers and put Audio on for Scratch Reference...and 7D...but 5D has better menu control...

You could do the same with TC...send via R1a or Zaxcom TC IFB Box...if you don't need scratch Audio..

Do you TC Slate the Cameras?

Drop Frame is used to match up to the 'real' TOD clock time used by Broadcasters..for Broadcast and Not Production normally..

If the Edit House can deal with Drop Frame...give it a try..

Are they shooting 23.98 or 29.97? Most of the stuff on the 5D has been 29.97..make sure you are using the correct frame rate..

I just did a little project that used the Canon EOS T2i, which is the little brother of the EOS-D5 and D7. Same deal as the D7: 23.98 frame rate for HD video, non-defeatable AGC in the consumer mike-level input. I used the Beachtek DXA-5DA and had no problems giving them a scratch track, but I did insist on them using real tracks from a 744t. No sync issues so far. Pictures look surprisingly good -- certainly good enough for broadcast, assuming some tweaking in post.

--Marc W.

The Magic Lantern FIrmware for the 7D and T2i make a big difference in the audio performance of those cameras.

It adds the ability to turn off the AGC and gives you audio metering on screen. You can adjust the levels as well to achieve a perfect scratch track. Magic Lantern also adds a whole lot of extra features for the camrea and video as well.

The Magic Lantern Firmware for the 7D and T2i make a big difference in the audio performance of those cameras.

I know. The problem is that not all filmmakers have this firmware; quite a few don't know about it. I generally have dealt only with the 5D; the Canon T2i was a new one for me.

BTW, the website for the Magic Lantern people is at this link.

--Marc W.

The Magic Lantern FIrmware for the 7D and T2i make a big difference in the audio performance of those cameras.

It adds the ability to turn off the AGC and gives you audio metering on screen. You can adjust the levels as well to achieve a perfect scratch track. Magic Lantern also adds a whole lot of extra features for the camrea and video as well.

The new 600D or T3i have the ability to turn off AGC and view audio meters in the firmware so hopefully this will be standard on all future Canon releases

I hope your client doesn't decide to use the hacked camera firmware. It will instantly void his warranty. We often find that the 5D's own audio is out of sync with its picture by 2 frames. No one has been able to explain this to us.

phil p

My understanding is that there is a delay caused by processing time when compressing the video that is not accompanied for when the audio track of the QT is recorded. It is about 100ms actually. I use AuxTCapp, and account for this offset there.

I have a 60D and the offset is not the same as the 5D. It's less on the 60D. Not sure why.