fold flat Pelican-like case? making a portable charging station

johnpaul215

Maybe somebody has a better solution, but this is where I am going.... I'm looking for something, approximately a Pelican 1500, that will open flat (as opposed to the lid being 90 degrees). My thinking is to make a portable charging station now that I am all rechargeable. Space-wise I think I could do it in a Pelican 1500, if I had the top and bottom. I can use something like the heavy duty velcro to mount everything.

I might be able to dremel down parts of the hinge on a Pelican and make this work, or is there another solution? It's a mess to set up the chargers on the floor of my hotel room, then pack it up in the AM, then reset it at night. Right now I could be using 6 or 7 different chargers on an average night, so it would be nice to have a clean solution I just pop open.

I can often set this up on a cart, but I have been doing quite a few jobs where I am working with my Fusion from a bag running quite a few wireless mics and Comteks etc. Plenty of batteries to charge when we are back at civilization..... which might not be till we return to the hotel at night.

If somebody else figured out another solution, I would love to hear it.

thanks!

On most of my reality projects I give the Camera Utility 2 I power chargers at start of the show at almost every location he is charging camera batteries so he will charge for me and hand them back over to me. Fortunately most the shows I have done we are at some location with power for at least 2 hours so I can top off all my batteries then. I have more Ipower and AA chargers then I have batteries so I have a set at home or at hotel and a set of them with the utility then I have a few more I carry so I can charge anywhere. Only rarely do I have to charge at night when I get home. I also have 8 Np1 batteries so I can go a few days without charging if needed. I carry one box of procell 9v with me just in case but only use it rarely

@Minister that might work out well! I never thought about using one of those.

@Whitney That's what I do when it works out. I have done plenty of docu-reality shows where we never stand still once we leave our office/base, and do not have an ACs or anything (just camera+sound+producer).

I currently run my Fusion and RXs *most* of the day off a 10Ah, with a backup NP1 in the fusion. Unfortunately that battery won't run everything all day. That battery uses one charger, then the NP-1 charger, then the iPower chargers, and the AA batteries.