audio interfaces

from Focusrite, a new audio interface that looks be quite good. I don't know the cost, probably expensive (Focusrite name) and probably overkill for many. Worth looking into:  http://www.focusrite.com/product/saffire_pro_26_i_o/

Saffire Pro 26 I/O from Focusrite

High Quality 24-bit/192k Bus-powered Firewire Interface

8 high quality Focusrite preamps with unrivalled A/D and D/A conversion

TOTAL i/o count of 26 inputs and 26 outputs

Free suite of Saffire VST/AU plug-ins (Compression, EQ, Reverb, Amp Sim)

2 ‘super channels’ with instrument input and variable impedance

2 separate Headphones buses on the front panel

Free SaffireControl PRO software for advanced monitoring and level control*

MIDI In and Out

Word clock In and Out

Front panel Level, Dim and Mute controls assignable to all outputs

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815073399_thumb.jpg

The HP filters would be handy if you were using this as your actual pre-amps as well as your interface.  This is a welcome addition that is not something that you see very often on interfaces.

No AES I/O.

Plug ins could be quite useful in certain circumstances but would be better if they were embedded in DSP.  However, I believe that this is a fairly inexpensive product; somewhere around $200 less than a Traveler, so assuming that the sound quality is there, this unit is quite competitively priced.

I love the "unrivaled" digital convertors statement.  Very bold statement indeed!

Best, Darren

It's nice to see more manufacturers embracing firewire.

Now if one of them would just make an 8ch line-fw interface sans pre's so we could all pick our own front end...

I love the "unrivaled" digital convertors statement.  Very bold statement indeed!

I guess Apogee and Benchmark are doomed eh?

;)

-Steigs

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello All

An interesting topic with so many interfaces... a couple that hit my radar recently.

http://www.presonus.com/firestudio.html

and this little (if it only had more i/o and was FW instead of PCI) thing...

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DIRECTPROLX6

I just wish it was possible to single channel 96khz over ADAT.

Jeff C

Hello All

An interesting topic with so many interfaces... a couple that hit my radar recently.

http://www.presonus.com/firestudio.html

and this little (if it only had more i/o and was FW instead of PCI) thing...

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DIRECTPROLX6

I just wish it was possible to single channel 96khz over ADAT.

Jeff C

Hi, Jeff...

How's "The Peter"? Still rolling along, I hope!

Guitar Center is selling the Presonus Firestudio for $700 at the moment. I'm saving my nickels for something better, at least in terms of form factor. It's hard to incorporate a device with connectors on two or more sides inro a cart, since it just eats more footprint. But at least the Firestudio has an external word clock input and can be buss powered.

Happy New Year to all....

Jim

Guest Jeff Colon

Hi Jim,

The "Peter" is rolling along quite nicely, thanks,

The "Peter" which Jim is referring to is a kartmaster that was owned by his friend Peter Thomas.  It is my first version of a cart and it puts the magliner to shame IMHO... ;-)  I have named it "Peter"  so that he may "roll on".  It reminds me of how fortunate and lucky I am... Every day is a gift. Sounds trite, until...

I will post a picture one of these days... The kart is invisible right now as it is covered with gear.  I am building a more specific task oriented cart using extruded aluminium and the "Peter" will become a follow/utility unit.  For those of you looking for a great handtruck/cart, It's a Remin Kartmaster.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=184301

All of the interface units are marketed to something other than our specific needs.... mostly digital studio apps... not that it matters, but I can't stand looking at the two mic line input thingys on the front of the motu828... I would like to see Sound Devices approach to this...

All best for a great future... Happy New Year !

jeffC

I would like to see Sound Devices approach to this...

jeffC

I second that idea. It would seem like this would be right up Sound Devices alley. An 8 - 10 analog line input to firewire conversion would be great. Could also do AES or or spdif. Make it rack mountable. Hide all the plugs in the back, leave the front for display and meters and all that jazz, and make the whole thing dc or buss powered. At least you know if Sound Devices is making it, it's gonna be rock solid, sound great and look pretty darn good to boot !

Guest tourtelot

Funny and not entirely on topic (no Firewire but that's not my intended use.  I am still partial to the Presonus FirePod for that) but I just bought the Presonus DigiMax FS for more I/O for my 01V96.  I actually like having the 8 mic/line inputs on the front.  They will get routed to the second level of faders for things like playback inputs and stereo ambience mics etc, and since they will mostly be unused, I think having them readily available in the front of the rack will make a huge difference to me.  As well, it has ADAT lightpipe I/O which makes it sort of a no-brainer for me and the 01V96.  I presently use an Alesis A/D/A to get eight more outputs from the Yamaha for non-critical audio like Comtek feeds, boom IFBs, EPK, etc, but have never used the line-ins because they are buried in the back of the rack and too hard to break out, so front mounted inputs should be a benefit. 

Anyone wants the Alesis unit, it will be for sale after February 1, sounds fine, and will be an inexpensive way to get more I/O from a Yammy panel.  Let me know off-list.

D.

I am still partial to the Presonus FirePod for that) but I just bought the Presonus DigiMax FS for more I/O for my 01V96.  I actually like having the 8 mic/line inputs on the front.  They will get routed to the second level of faders for things like playback inputs and stereo ambience mics etc.

D.

Wow...  MORE I/O for the  Yamaha 01V96? I am impressed... or depressed... I am not so sure. I must have just never wound up on a production shoot that ever required that many inputs and outputs or routing for that matter. Or, maybe I just don't work as hard as I should be working so my equipment package is quite adequate to serve my lack of effort. Seriously, I would like to know from others what sorts of jobs require more I/O than the Yamaha already provides?

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest Jeff Colon

Hi all,

mix minus on the aux buses via the omni outs...IFB sends for multiple host TV shows.  Still not quite enough for the NFL today...

On a feature, other than tracking live musical performances and then remixing playback, I cannot imagine using more than 50% of the I/O.  You could concievably send separate timing cues, i.e. click tracks for stunts or gags...anyone?  It gets amusing to say the least reading the threads on the 01v96 yahoo group... some of these guys are using every availiable I/O Efx send return etc... in Church! ;-)

JeffC

• 2 weeks later...

I second that idea. It would seem like this would be right up Sound Devices alley. An 8 - 10 analog line input to firewire conversion would be great. Could also do AES or or spdif. Make it rack mountable. Hide all the plugs in the back, leave the front for display and meters and all that jazz, and make the whole thing dc or buss powered. At least you know if Sound Devices is making it, it's gonna be rock solid, sound great and look pretty darn good to boot !

This'd be awesome!  10 analog line input to firewire from Sound Devices.  12v.  I'd sell the DV824 and buy it in a heartbeat!  But I expect their focus is on an 8-track recorder, which will also be GREAT, but I already own one of those!

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest the RME Fireface 400.  It has jitter suppression, a very stable clock, 8 analog I/O, 10 digital I/O, midi I/O and the all important DC power input (over an incredible range) or even bus-power over firewire.  The unit is fully matrixed and contains 648 internal connection which can all be set to sub-decibel increments simultaneously and maintain their settings even without a computer present.  Most importantly, it sounds sweet to my ears. 

I was listening to some LFE yesterday using the Fireface and even the lowest bass notes were tight, that test being the most transparent demontration of an excellent sample clock (and converters).  While production mixers are usually more concerned with getting rid of <100 hz. signals, the improved clock is indicative of the sound quality in general.  The Traveller pales in comparison with it's less-than-stellar clocks and converters.

-Robert Kennedy

• 3 months later...

I was going to start a new topic, but this one sort of seems to fit.  I'm now looking for a 1-2 mic interface for Boom Recorder.  I had a project last week where all I needed was 1 mic recording what was essentially VO's in a conference room at the company's headquarters.  I really didn't want to break out my 16 channel mixer so I could record with Boom Recorder, so I trotted out my SD302 and my HD-P2.  But, I've gotten so used to all of the great Boom Recorder features I really missed it.

So, long question looking for (hopefully) an easy answer.  Can any one recommend a solid 2 mic interface (preferably firewire, but USB if I have to).  I would have automatically thought SD USBpre, but I really do think FW is better.

Suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Okay...MOTU 828mkII or RME Fireface 800

It's down to these two devices for me.  They have all the features I want, and the number of inputs I need.  Now I need you guys to tell me your experieces with each.

The price difference is not an issue for me.  I just want which one is best.

Thoughts?

Robert Sharman

I would have automatically thought SD USBpre, but I really do think FW is better.

I've had one of these for about 6 years now and it is a rock solid piece of gear.  I can't speak to the MOTU or the RME piece having never used them, but the USBPre remains to this day one of my favorite purchases.

I bought it as a front end for my SMAART rig and used it along with an Earthworks M30 (I wish Lectro had the TM400 back then..) to time align and EQ the concert rigs I was on.  If you're looking for a preamp that will 'warm up' or color your mics, stay away from this piece.  What you put in is what it puts out.  It handles everything from instrument to line level and it's built like a brick sh!thouse.  Mine has been dropped, kicked, thrown, rained on, run over and baked in the sun and it's never failed. 

It's small, lightweight and bus-powered.

As far as USB v. Firewire, I've never noticed any issue running this unit on USB.  Recordings I've done with it always sound great.

And, well... It's made by Sound Devices :)

My $.02

-Steigs