Comtek 72 Auto-ON feature?

Michael Capulli

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a Comtek 72 Timecode link working for a playback job. It seems every time the timecode signal stops (from the transmitter) IE... stop start, pause, etc... The Receiver turns off automatically. It also seems to turn off automatically if the volume is below 50%. Seems like perhaps its the same function that turns the unit off when you disconnect a pair of headphones.

Has anybody else had this trouble when trying to setup a TC link? I'm feeding the transmitter from a 442, and PR72B receiver is feeding a Denecke TS3 with a simple unbalanced cable. Is the cable too long?

The M72 has a battery saving feature so that it will turn off when a headphone is unplugged. Therefore, when taking a line output from the headphone jack, you have to trick it into thinking a headphone is plugged into it by giving it a little load. Putting a 1.5K or 2k resistor (1/8W is fine) across the tip and sleeve on the 1/8" plug of your output cable will keep it on. You can put the resistor at which ever end is easier.

Glen Trew

Thanks Glen

Seems that an instrument cable has done the trick for now. Shortened it up... doesn't seem to do it anymore. You're saying to place a resistor across the circuit correct? simulating a load?

UPDATE: with this cable... comtek only comes on when sticks are open. Playing around with it, i think it may be a good thing! fingers crossed.