getting RF from 744

Michael Capulli

I just happen to be on JWSound at the very moment you posted this (shocker), so I guess I'll jump in before everyone else.

There are lots of threads which include information about RF from recorders, specifically the 744T.  A little search will yield lots of results.

As for explaining "the phenomenon", I'll let the resident physicist and/or master of stating the obvious chime in...........

Michael, this Sound Devices tech note has some relevant info:

RF Emissions and the 702, 722, and 744T Recorders

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/7-series-rf/

Specifically the bit on conducted RF. From the Quick Tips section of the tech note:

"Make certain that RF is not being conducted through power cables. The 702, 722, and 744T recorders emit low levels of RF energy through the power cable. One way to determine if this is causing interference problems is to power the recorder and wireless from their own individual power sources and note any change in performance. Power problems can be remedied by battery powering either the recorder or receivers. If a single power source is powering recorders and receivers wrap several turns of the recorder’s power cord through a ferrite toroid and wrap the power cord for the receivers through their own toroids."

Good luck,

Jim

Once more: easy fixes include NOT powering the 744 off the same source as the RX (consider running the 744 on an internal batt) and putting some distance and maybe the mixer between the RX and the recorder.  For me, that has calmed the spray down to workable levels on my RX, and I have RX in many diff. blocks....

phil p

As I've heard it explained, RF is from the processor and electrical

architecture.  You could even pull the HD and only record onto CF

and find the same results.

I swapped an SSD into my 744t.

No difference in RF spray, however the unit is now dead quite,

boots faster, and runs a little cooler.

As others have said, reducing RF is all about proximity and isolation.

Glen Piegari

I wonder if the effect is less severe if using a solid state disk..