Black Swan production sound

gabi

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Ken Ishii?

I've just watched Black Swan and I've never seen so many mirrors in my intire life. I know for a fact that they spent months erasing the camera reflections on the mirrors and I was curious about microphone placement on the film. Outfits are as tight and minimal as can be, heavy dancing scenes all the time and mirrors all over the place... boy, that really seems difficult to record. It sounds incredible though.

Thanks,

Gabi Cunha

My regular boom op is one of those who worked with Ken on "Black Swan" (between seasons 2 and 3 of "Nurse Jackie"). After the first day of S3, I mentioned that his skillz had grown noticeably, and his response was to laugh and say, "Yeah, I worked with a lot of mirrors since I saw you last."

I'm not in touch with Ken, but can probably get his email from Mr. O'Brien.

I don't think the boom ops were on all at the same time. Let me try to find out.

-- Jan

i was the utility.  i was the 2nd boom when necessary, but there was only one boom op per day.  it was alot of hard work.  the living room in nina's apartment had 25 mirrors in it.  throughout the entire film, the effects guys told me they only had to paint out one boom.  and it was not one of the 3 boom ops.  it was me....  i should have stuck to changing batteries i guess. 

hey jan.

joe

Thanks for responding, Joe :) B O'B, while not a Luddite, uses email more like snail mail, and so it took time for him to get back to me.

Heard back from Mr. O'B yesterday, and while he didn't out you as the boom op caught and painted out, he did say it was a no-dialog shot. Baaaad Joe! XO

Got connected with Ken via LinkdIn and will point him to this thread today. Hear he's on a job so it might be a while (or not) before he's able to chime in.

-- Jan

That's great, Jan. I've tried to get in touch with him via Facebook but I don't think he's very FB active, so I'm not sure he saw the message. I hope he can get the time to chime in and share this great and tough experience...

thanks,

Gabi