Have to log in for each visit

Philip Perkins

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my Mac I almost always have to log in and have for months.  I thought that was a feature?

But, on my iPad I never have to log in.

I kinda figured that maybe I was getting kicked of on the Mac because I was logged in on the iPad.

Like some others, I'm having to login every time but using just my name, not password not required. Cookies and everything else is on. Browser is Opera 11.10 under XP at work and Windows 7 at home. The topic reply list is sometimes top to bottom and sometimes bottom to top. Odd. I'll try some other browsers.

Larry F

It really seems to be related to a spambot attack on sites (such as this one) running Simple Machines Forum. There are several threads on the topic at the SMF support sites:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=422122.0

One relevant quote from that thread:

"This has been noted many many times on this forum in the last few days. SMF forums are currently under attack from bots trying to swipe passwords by brute forcing the accounts."

Another thread:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=422294.0

And a quote:

"Update... Since all of this started, I have banned over 400 IP addresses, mostly CN, RU, UA, NL, DE... While I still have the login forever problem, I seem to have stopped the  getting kicked out... Plus I have only had to ban 1 so far today... So there is hope... This "invasion" seems to be well organized and planned out... Anyone else thinkiing along these lines?

Yup. A lot of people are dealing with that including myself."

And a final quote from somewhere on the SMF boards (sorry, I'm running out of time here):

"Due to the behaviour before 2.0 RC4+security patch, or 2.0 RC5 (from which the security patch for RC4 was made), users would be logged out when that happened, and this is what's causing the logouts you're seeing."

So here on jwsound.net, if the bots got hold of your login name, then you may periodically get logged out. Depends if the bots have recently used your login name. If they haven't yet got hold of your login name, you probably won't get logged out. In either case, if you have a good password, the spambots probably won't be able to break into jwsound.net.

It LOOKS like we all need to sit tight until Jeff (or the site hosting his forum) has the time and inclination to update the software running this forum. Could be there are good reasons for Jeff to hold off for a bit. In any case, it also looks like there isn't much the rest of us can do about this.

Ya, having to regularly log in is a hassle. But that's a small price to pay for a spam-free forum.

Thanks,

Jim

In the next day or so I am updating the forum software to the latest RC5 version which may contain patches to correct the login difficulties some have been experiencing. I am also changing the whole registration security routine (will not affect existing members) to try and deal with all the bogus sign-ups.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler