wiring for camera return

Adam Jones

Greetings all:

I have a simple technical question:

I'm finally wiring up some camera return adapters for my 788T/CL-9 Sound Devices setup.  The 2 returns on the CL-9 are line level balanced XLR inputs.  Camera return will be on an unbalanced stereo 1/8" TRS connector.  What would be the appropriate wiring for the TRS 1/8" female to XLR male cable adapter?

Thanks!

-Adam

Adam,

Check out my recent thread about feeding a mixer with an iPod.  It's basically the same thing in terms of taking a stereo headphone jack into balanced XLR input on a mixer.

In simple wiring terms, sum the tip and ring to pin 2 and send the sleeve to bridged pins 1 and 3.  But there are issues of summing resistors and impedance transformers to consider.

I recently purchased an in-line barrel, which could go at the camera end of your XLR run and you can use any consumer 1/8" TRS cable from the camera to the barrel.  It's the Whirlwind ISOPOD.  Price is kinda high, but the form factor is unbeatable, unless you can make one yourself.

Robert

Greetings all:

I have a simple technical question:

I'm finally wiring up some camera return adapters for my 788T/CL-9 Sound Devices setup.  The 2 returns on the CL-9 are line level balanced XLR inputs.  Camera return will be on an unbalanced stereo 1/8" TRS connector.  What would be the appropriate wiring for the TRS 1/8" female to XLR male cable adapter?

Thanks!

-Adam

The TRS wiring is tip/left, ring/right, sleeve/ground. For an unbalanced mono connection you would connect the shield to pins 1 & 3 in the XLR and pin 2 goes to the tip of the 1/8" TRS. The ring has no connection.

Eric

The TRS wiring is tip/left, ring/right, sleeve/ground. For an unbalanced mono connection you would connect the shield to pins 1 & 3 in the XLR and pin 2 goes to the tip of the 1/8" TRS. The ring has no connection.

Eric

This is true.  I had assumed Adam might need to monitor both channels summed.  If he is just sending a mono feed to camera, or just needs a confidence return that the camera is getting some sort of audio at all, then he can wire the tip only.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I though.  And to sum both channels, connect tip & ring to pin 2.

I just had some sort of crisis of confidence, after spending an entire day soldering cables and building my own boom op headphone amp for the new cart.  Somehow, being buried in circuit diagrams for a couple of days made me lose track of the easy projects!

Thanks again,

-A.