on "Coming Home"

Jeff Wexler

one of the films I was so fortunate to do with the late, great Hal Ashby...  and I also got to work with my father on that one. So much I have learned from those two and so thankful for the chance to do as many films as I did with Hal...  he was the best.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815073616_thumb.jpg

Every time I see one of your pix with the 4.2 and the Sela I just shake my head in wonder at how good those films sounded, and how no one seems to remember that we used to record almost everything to a single track, usually with a single camera.  I'm having fun with the digital toys and all, but kind of miss the concentration and simplicity of that way of working while trying to mind lots of tracks and wirelesses and camera feeds and various monitor mixes.  Film sound used to be a very separate discipline, now production sound seems more like the way video audio was when I started--lots and lots of gear, but less concentration on the picture and voices immediately at hand, since we are "covered" so many ways at once.  So are the tracks ultimately any better the way we do it now?  Not sure, given everything.

Philip Perkins

Mr Perkins, I understand and agree with your POV. Back in the day as they say , we all worked for and with a Director to make his/her movie, one vision, one movie. Sadly that does not seem to be the norm these days. On the bright side, this years best movie  nominees were stronger than most years. Maybe this is a new trend, lets hope.

Regards, Old School.