Sennheiser IEM as wireless camera send?

John Moore

I'm looking for an affordable solution to sending a scratch track & audio time code via wireless. I'm considering using the Sennheiser IEM (In Ear Monitor) system to send a stereo signal... anyone done this, or have feedback regarding another system? I'm working on a upcoming project with the Canon 5D, and regularly work with projects using the Red, EX1/EX3 & HVX/HMC cameras, so the need is for something that will work with those systems.

I've looked Audio-Technica's 1800 & Sony's UWP dual systems, but the Sennheiser EW 300 IEM system is $300-400 less & used systems can be found for between $450-600. I know that there are more high-end systems from Zaxcom & Lectrosonics, but they're out of my budget at present.

TIA John

If you try and use a "stereo" in-ear type system to send discreet channels, particularly if one signal is smpte timecode and is going through a common mini connector, you are very likely to have serious crosstalk issues contaminating both your scratch track audio and possibly the timecode signal. If you cannot afford a proper system, like the Zaxcom IFB-ERX solution, I would opt for scratch track audio only as suggested by Jason Porter.

-  Jeff Wexler

Thanks for the info- I hadn't even considered the crosstalk problem!

Pluraleyes is sounding like the affordable solution for post. I'm still hoping to use the newly-installed time code from my FR-2 to simplify aligning tracks. It looks like I should just go back to using 2 receivers for separate tracks... I was hoping to come up with something affordable & small for these systems.

John

A lot of us just use the G2 or G3 systems from Sennheiser to send a mono scratch track.  With Red I often just connect a breakaway cable since those things generally have so many entrails dangling already.  I then use a timecode slate whenever possible.  Either way you have triple-redundant possibilities for syncing in post: 

1. Timecode (visual + time-stamped broadcast wav)

2. Sticks (visual + sound)

3. Plural Eyes (computer magic)

A few days ago posted as reply #4 on the thread

Re: IFB/Comtek alternativeI quote myself

"To keep this short, after testing numerous systems I purchased a Sennheiser EK300-IEM system which is what had been used during then 1st season American Idol.  For well under $1000 I ended up with a 3-receiver package including high-gain sharkfin antenna, highly discriminating stereo IEM that has faithfully become the privacy system between mixer and boom-op/utility and invited guest.  When I say "highly discriminating" I mean that I have been able to use this system to send ref. audio and timecode to a single receiver on video cameras and not have timecode bleed into audio.  The use of the flexibilities of this system leave a  mixer wide open for creative usage.  The sound team often enjoys full bandwidth stereo music playback in privacy when all hell is breaking loose on set."

Yes, it works sending audio and timecode together to cameras without crosstalk problems.  Just don't send timecode too hot.