BREAKING: Two and a Half Men ends their season

Richard Lightstone, CAS

Well thanks, Charlie....

Daily Variety:

'Men' will not resume production this season

Warner Bros. decision comes after Sheen tirade against creator

By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

Warner Bros. and CBS have decided not to resume production on "Two and a Half Men" for the rest of the season following a lengthy tirade from star Charlie Sheen that included numerous swipes at series creator-exec producer Chuck Lorre.

The studio made the decision Thursday afternoon as recordings of Sheen's interview with syndicated radio host Alex Jones went viral on the Internet. Sheen vented at Lorre, blaming the veteran showrunner for the shutdown of the show. He made remarks that could be construed as anti-Semitic in referring to Lorre by his given name, Chaim Levine.

"OK, last I checked, Chaim, I spent I think close to the last decade effortlessly and magically converting your tin cans into pure gold, and the gratitude I get is this charlatan chose not to do his job, which is to write," Sheen said.

Sheen has been in the headlines non-stop ever since Warner Bros. shuttered production on the CBS comedy Jan. 28 in an effort to force him into rehab treatment.

Sheen's camp and the studio agreed earlier this month to resume production on Monday after assurances from Sheen that he was giving up his hard-partying lifestyle. But in the interview with Jones, Sheen indicated he was angry at having been forced into rehab and for having to apologize for his increasingly erratic behavior that accelerated during "Men's" production hiatus over the holidays.

I still can't believe people ever watched that show, and if Charlie Sheen is responsible, then a lot of people made a crapload of money because of him. Shame that his addictive behavior is partly responsible for this shut-down, but people working on that show (or any show for that matter) should have a plan 'B'. And if people have been on that show from the beginning, they ought to have put away something for a rainy day.

Charlie Sheen doesn't owe anyone any more than any other actor who ends a show one way or another.

I hope he gets back on track, as I hope any addict gets back on track, but my life won't change a bit if he never sets foot on another TV show or movie ever again.

Frankly, we ought to stay out of the private lives of all these celebrities. I wish the lead story on the news was Libya or the N.Z. quake, and not wether the necklace Brittany Spears stole is worth enough for her felony to stick.

Rant over. Sorry. 

Robert, these days jobs aren't all that easy to come by and I respectfully submit that Plan A is hard enough... and the Plan B you refer to is pure luxury.  Furthermore, when a job like this pays for only 6 working days in a month, I wouldn't assume that that it has allowed the Sound Crew to put all that much away for a rainy day.  On the bright side, the timing is good for pilot season and if they get lucky, they might come up with something for next year.

Laurence

I have friends involved, including a series regular...

Yes, Mr. Sheen has made a bunch of folks, including himself, a shitload of $$$ (and it will keep on coming in their mailboxes, too).

It seems that his private issues have actually not affected his professional work much, as he shows up, knows his lines, hits his marks, and does his job, and does it quite well.  Sadly, these days the 'studio system' of yesteryear that would have shielded and protected him (and others) is long gone, and replaced with a money machine system, and additional money machines called tabloids, seeking to maximize any and all dirt.  Anyone who is any kind of celebrity has to deal with this, and Charlie, Mel, Paris, Lindsay, and all the others have no one to blame but themselves. and while some, like Robert Downey Jr., have cleaned up their acts and climbed back up, others keep shooting themselves in the feet!

Robert, these days jobs aren't all that easy to come by and I respectfully submit that Plan A is hard enough... and the Plan B you refer to is pure luxury.  Furthermore, when a job like this pays for only 6 working days in a month, I wouldn't assume that that it has allowed the Sound Crew to put all that much away for a rainy day.  On the bright side, the timing is good for pilot season and if they get lucky, they might come up with something for next year.

Laurence

Agreed, but I don't believe Charlie Sheen owes anyone anything.  I expect there are certain pressures carrying something entirely on one's shoulders.  Some people handle it better than others.

And I know a bunch of post people who are also affected by losing another 8 episodes of this series. That was probably ten weeks of work lost.

You gotta wonder how a guy like this gets so hopelessly out of control. Given the current war of words going on (covered in all the scandal rags), it'll be a miracle if they can get it together to come back next season.

--Marc W.

Well, while Mr. Sheen may not "owe" anybody anything, any actor with at least a shred of decency understands that his actions impact more people than just himself (people who, by the way, earn a hell of lot less than his salary). Then again, this is the entertainment business we're involved with...the stories abound...

--Scott

It's quite clear that Charlie Sheen is delusional, and obviously is incapable of seeing or caring if his actions affect others. If he can't see how his behavior is punishing his children, we certainly can't expect him to see how it affects a TV crew.

Some peole are just crazy, or addicts, or huge assholes, or perhaps all three.

BTW, it seems in a nice little PR move, the crew will be paid by WB TV for the 4 episodes it chose not to shoot.

Robert

It's quite clear that Charlie Sheen is delusional...

Indeed. In a recent interview, when asked about his addictions, he replied, "I'm on a drug... and it's called Charlie Sheen." I guess "Charlie Sheen" is a fancy word for cocaine now. Really, it's very upsetting. Successful scripted TV shows seem so rare these days. What a waste that this guy had to sabotage it.

He did say that WB should pay the crew for 8 episodes, since it was them who canceled the show.  I think at some point at the beginning of his rant he said he would pay the crew for the season's missing episodes, but that was before the plug was pulled altogether.  We'll see what happens.

I wish I could be paid by the rich people who pulled financing at the 11th hour on the several films I ALMOST mixed over the last 2 years.

Robert

I am probably the minority view here, but I think it's his life and for the most part he has had a blast doing it.  Obviously he went over the top and most people slow down on that lifestyle before hitting thirty.  Still, he owes nothing to no one as long as he pays the consequences.  Getting arrested and fired are consequences for trying to maximize what he likes to do.  He "owns" it.

I watched the interview and cringed because I knew everyone who didn't know him would get the wrong idea,  The fact is that he has always talked like that and always said things that most people don't.  I worked with him and just thought he was odd, I still do.  Even when he's not on drugs, he's quirky at best.  I expected him to look bad because of that, not that his mind was blown from drugs.  I sure his PR guy knew that would go bad too.

As for hiring the world's most expensive hookers, that just puts him in the ordinary company of governors and sheiks.  However, I do admire someone who would buy out the entire bleachers section of left field just to catch a home run ball.  Is he a saint?  No, but neither is Keith Richards and nobody says he can't live life his own way.  Why must Sheen?