Thunderstruck by more cables?

imagist

Couldn't they have at least made it a locking connector? Waiting for the first RAID drive to become accidentally disconnected and unrebuildable. A roll of gaffer tape should be included with every Thunderbolt device purchase ;).

A very good point, perhaps some enterprising third party accessories manufacturer could come up with some (high tack) self adhesive velcro tab arrangement?

Though I have destroyed the Ethernet connector socket on my Macbook by accidentally stepping on the ethernet cable and the locking tab meant it broke the socket before the cable pulled out. I have to use a USB to ethernet adapter now which is much less expensive than a new logic board!

Wyatt you are correct and calling this new connector Thunderbolt is as ridiculous as Firewire...  I'm SO glad I just bought a new Mac Book Pro just in time to miss getting this connector.  Then again it will probably take another 5 - 7 years before hard drives come with this interface just like the firewire.

I don't need a locking connector for something that I'm not going to leave connected long term.

Dan Izen

What I think is exciting is that this interface brings PCI-X back to the full line of Macbook Pros (minus the expresscard slot, of course).  As the standard rolls out across the Mac line, it will mean nearly limitless maximum-speed (as allowed by processor, motherboard, etc.) storage and I/O to Mac Minis and iMacs. 

As to the locking connector: while I'd certainly prefer to know 100% that the connection would not become dislodged, the Mini Displayport (which the Thunderbolt connector is based on) is the the most sturdy non-locking connector I've ever used.  I'm pretty rough with my MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI adapter on my laptop, and I've yet to have it ever disconnect. 

Dan, in response to your comment about 5-7 years, why so pessimistic?  I would expect it to roll out at a similar speed as (and likely eventually replace) firewire 800.  Lacie just announced their first Thunderbolt product, shipping this summer. 

e.

I think Thunderbolt is pretty awesome. LaCie has a Little Big Disk external Thunderbolt drive coming out, and should be available by summer. Avid, Apogee, and Universal Audio have all announced support of Thunderbolt.

]You can use the Thunderbolt port right now as a MiniDisplay Port, or as an HDMI out to a TV or monitor (and it carries audio too). It works with all of the current MiniDisplay Port adapters. FireWire and USB adapters will be available soon.

I think it's awesome.

Oh, I dunno. Firewire connectors didn't lock. USB never locked. eSATA connectors don't lock. Somehow, we got by without that feature and managed to copy many thousands of files.

Now, standard Ethernet does lock. But that's a different deal.

--Marc W.

I have always believed that recorders should have locking firewire connectors.  and they do exist:

http://www.northwire.com/assembly_MVC_FWbbEL.php

ao

Ao, but the other side should have appropriate connectors and the treaded holes to mate with these connectors, right?

In the Cantar, there is a simple way - lock the cable very close to the connector so it wont move... achieved by a locking screw that holds the cable in place against the body of the recorder. Impeccable - has never failed me as yet...

-vin

Dan, in response to your comment about 5-7 years, why so pessimistic?  I would expect it to roll out at a similar speed as (and likely eventually replace) firewire 800.  Lacie just announced their first Thunderbolt product, shipping this summer. 

e.

Because my brand new fancy pants hoity toity Mac Book Pro did not come with this interface.  Doh!  I'm sure it's really great.

In the Cantar, there is a simple way - lock the cable very close to the connector so it wont move... achieved by a locking screw that holds the cable in place against the body of the recorder. Impeccable - has never failed me as yet...

-vin

I have had numerous firewire problems, locking screw or no locking screw.  that's why I removed the dvd burner and installed the compact flash tray.  I am working on a red camera shoot next and the d.i.t. likes dealing with cards rather than drives.

ao

I have always believed that recorders should have locking firewire connectors.  and they do exist...

Now, if we can just get the manufacturers to use them on laptops and tower computers. Me personally, I've been using regular Firewire 400 & 800 since the month it came out, and I have never, ever had a connector accidentally slip out. I agree, there are a lot of stupid connectors out there -- don't get me started about companies that use 1/8" mini-phone jacks on pro audio products -- but I don't think the lack of a locking connector on Thunderbolt is a deal-killer for 99% of most users.

Let's wait and see how the connector works in actual real-world conditions before condemning it.

--Marc W.