SD 302 and Phantom

hipnotik

Hi Folks,

Total nOOb here. I am a Pro Tools guy (been doing post work for more than a decade) with increasing interest in production sound (please no hate mail for stepping out of the closet). I have the opportunity to go out on a shoot with a camera guy friend. Pretty simple set up: Two G3 wireless and a boom (MKH 416T or ME66) going to a SD 302 and straight to camera. Rumors has it that the 302 won't power the mics very well. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, the 302 will happily power mics at 12 or 48 phantom or 12 volt T-power.  Not sure what rumor you heard, maybe out was in reference to the 302's lesser amount of gain compared to its big brothers.  Still, it shouldn't be a problem.  I'd reach for the 416T before the me66 as it's a much higher quality mic. 

For anyone not familiar with T-power microphones, it's useful to point out that correct polarity is important. And, there's no universal standard of polarity or, more accurately, the accepted standard became confused when Stephan Kudelski of Nagra decided to go his own way. So, any given microphone might be wired this way or that.

Plugging in a mike wired at reverse polarity to the supply from the mixer doesn't cause any harm but it doesn't cause any sound either. If all you hear is hiss or hash, your mike probably needs to have its polarity reversed. Just connect a polarity switching cable or a polarity reversing barrel somewhere in the cable and all will be well. Polarity reversing cables and barrels are available from the usual sources. Here's a link to an offering from PSC:

http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/barrels.htm

David

Sound Devices arguably make the best portable mixers and pre-amps available today, perhaps ever.  If there is any "issue" with making a particular setup work, it's unlikely the SD unit will be the root of the problem.

As always, excellent advice has been offered here by David regarding polarity. And Derek wisely advises using the 416.

maybe out was in reference to the 302's lesser amount of gain compared to its big brothers.  Still, it shouldn't be a problem

Hi Derek. Thanks for reaching out. Have you ever been in a situation where this lesser amount of gain became an issue?

For anyone not familiar with T-power microphones, it's useful to point out that correct polarity is important. And, there's no universal standard of polarity or, more accurately, the accepted standard became confused when Stephan Kudelski of Nagra decided to go his own way. So, any given microphone might be wired this way or that.

Plugging in a mike wired at reverse polarity to the supply from the mixer doesn't cause any harm but it doesn't cause any sound either. If all you hear is hiss or hash, your mike probably needs to have its polarity reversed. Just connect a polarity switching cable or a polarity reversing barrel somewhere in the cable and all will be well. Polarity reversing cables and barrels are available from the usual sources. Here's a link to an offering from PSC:

http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/barrels.htm

David

Good point David. Well taken and thank you for taking the time to go over the important subject of polarity!

Not to answer for Derek, but  NEVER!  I also feel the 302 is better sounding than the 442.  With the 442, I always seemed to be pushing the trim pots up and up as the day went on.

Hi Derek. Thanks for reaching out. Have you ever been in a situation where this lesser amount of gain became an issue?

Not to answer for Derek, but  NEVER!  I also feel the 302 is better sounding than the 442.  With the 442, I always seemed to be pushing the trim pots up and up as the day went on.

That sounds like ear fatigue where you keep turning up the HP level. Were you turning up the trims because the meters showed the level dropping?

Eric

Yes, the levels appeared to be dropping.  It could have been the actors performance or a faulty mixer (it was a rental) but, I had spoken with a few other people at the time and they all experienced a similar thing with the 442.  I was also running off internal batteries which was thought to have been a possible cause (dropping voltage)

I have used other 442's since and did not have the same experience (although I still think the 302 sounds smoother)

-Jason

That sounds like ear fatigue where you keep turning up the HP level. Were you turning up the trims because the meters showed the level dropping?

Eric

An SD mixer or recorder, like almost all modern portable mixers and recorders, use switching power supplies. There is no change in operation or specification with different input voltages. Until your 4 penlight cells give up the ghost in a 442, the supply is generating 48 V phantom, +/-15 V for the preamp rails, and a few other voltages for things like its meters, microcontroller, spring reverb, etc.

An SD mixer or recorder, like almost all modern portable mixers and recorders, use switching power supplies. There is no change in operation or specification with different input voltages. Until your 4 penlight cells give up the ghost in a 442, the supply is generating 48 V phantom, +/-15 V for the preamp rails, and a few other voltages for things like its meters, microcontroller, spring reverb, etc.

Spring reverb? That's so cool. Where in the menu is that app, under the Fisher space expander heading?

Eric

The 302 and also the MixPre do have limitations in their power supplies due, in part, to size and space limitations.  However, in your circumstances, there shouldn't be any issue. 

One way the limitation manifests itself is, for instance, with a Sanken CS-1, you can get a motorboating feedback symptom.  The solution for this is to engage the high-pass filter.

There are one or two other mics that have limitations.  I know there used to be applicable information in the SD tech notes.  You many want to check there.

Although, I haven't used a T-Power 416 with either the MixPre or 302, I know that both mixers have an ongoing positive relationship with that mic.

Overall, these are excellent mixers, performing admirably on a daily basis for massive numbers of pros, so rest assured, you're okay.

Like others here, I sometimes use a 416T with my 302. Works fine.

Hipnotik, not sure how familiar you are with the 302. Check out SD's helpful tech notes for that mixer:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/category/mixers/302/

And if you don't have it, download the user manual:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/302master.htm

Lots of cool features in the 302, not all self evident. As we've discussed here, the spring reverb is especially hard to find.

Jon, you crack me up.  -Jim

WAY OT... :)

I'm working up my next tech note to add non-linear (real) reverb to our mixers. Here is the start...

• pan dry inputs left,
  • send left output to loudspeaker in "cool" sounding room,
  • put cool sounding mic in cool sounding room and pan right,
  • use right output as wet signal
  • use another mixer to blend-to-taste the the mult'd left output signal and wet right output signal.
  • *You could do this with a 788T without an additional mixer...

This is exactly how I added reverb in my mixes in 1983 before I bought my Alesis MicroVerb...