DIY "Presence" indicator

jason porter

So,

I work with a cameraman who has had some bad luck with the flip-out screen on his XDCam.  It has been replaced a couple of times already (from getting bashed!)  So he now shoots with the screen all closed up! I can no longer read the meters over his shoulder so I came up with this little box that shows me when audio is present in the camera.  I primarily use the Zaxcom stereo hop as a camera feed with a backup recorder running in my bag.

It runs from a 9V battery and has separate left and right (Ch1 & Ch 2) LEDs. The audio feed comes from the headphone jack or 5-pin audio out.  Dimensions are about 2.5" X 1.5" X 3/4".

post-138-130815094331_thumb.jpg

I need one of these great boxes as a through to a 5d or 7d. XLR mono input, properly padded from Line to consumer canon level with 6" output cable to a right angle mini! Possibly a level adjust with an inset pot!

Its the little things that make it all work!

Do you have a wireing diagram for this?

Good work!

Eric

Hi Eric,

Here is a schematic-

Let me know if you have any questions.

I need one of these great boxes as a through to a 5d or 7d. XLR mono input, properly padded from Line to consumer canon level with 6" output cable to a right angle mini! Possibly a level adjust with an inset pot!

Good work!

Eric

post-138-130815094336_thumb.jpg

Good work!

Eric

Why would you want to  do anything that facilitates running audio to a 5D or 7D?

I like it!!

I'm not one for monitoring the camera for audio (I am almost always double system - with a back-up to camera, maybe), so this would be a great tool for the times audio to camera was expected or was intended as primary.

Thanks for sharing,

Robert

• 1 year later...