anyone using the Cooper 106 and Deva 2 ?

larry long

I'm going to appear foolish by even asking this but...  I need an answer.

I have been using the Coopers direct outs to ISO, they are post fader not at all ideal. I am making up some TRS cables to use the inserts as my outs. Question is if I use the Tip and Sleeve to pins 1&2 xlr respectively. Do I have an impedence problem?  I tried some adapters that were wired that way , seemed to work and sounded fine. Just wanted to wire up some cables to look neater.

Thanks,

LL

I used my Cooper 106+1 for many, many years, and when I needed to feed direct outs pre-fader to the Deva I contacted Andy Cooper for some guidance on wiring up cables using the Insert points. I do not remember exactly how they need to be wired but I do remember that because they arfe insert points you have to deal with the fact they want a send and a return (or they need to be send and NO return?). I did several movies with these cables and the only downside (which wasn't really a problem) is that they are unbalanced and lower in level than a full balanced direct out. When I first got my 208 I used the direct outs, unbalanced, until I got the modification that puts a subD connector (Tascam style) and provides 8 balanced direct prefader outputs.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hi Larry,

I think if you jump the tip and sleeve off the insert you will have a simple unbalanced pre-fader low line level out.

The circuit is not broken as long as the tip and sleeve are completing the circuit.

Solder your 1/4"  tip and sleeve together and then run that to pin 2 of your XLR to get your hot pre-fader out. Connect the ground of the 1/4" to the pin 1 and pin 3 of the xlr or d-sub pinout and you are off to the races.

I do think the output is a bit low from the insert point (-10 or less?) for line level as the Cooper seems to have another gain stage later that then raises the stereo out to +4.

I have done this before and it came in as a very low line level or a somewhat hot mic level.

Scott Harber

• 2 years later...

Late Reply, I know....

I have heard from Cooper, that pins 1 + 3 on the XLR end need to be soldered together, if not, there is a low end cut off in the signal coming through. It is an extreme cutoff - sounded like a roll-off around 300 hertz!

The first time I made the direct out cables, I noticed they sounded strange, and called Cooper - in which they informed me this news!

Now the question I have is if there is anything done to increase the gain of the signal since it is so low - instead of having to bring the gain up on the recorder end. Is there any advantages/disadvantages of having two sets of gain staging for the iso tracks rather than the mix? It seems kind of weird to have to gain up the signal twice to get the iso's hot enough to be usable..

~Thomas Popp

I have heard from Cooper, that pins 1 + 3 on the XLR end need to be soldered together, if not, there is a low end cut off in the signal coming through. It is an extreme cutoff - sounded like a roll-off around 300 hertz!

Oh, this is very interesting. I just had a set of cables made up to feed ISO tracks to a Cantar and I'll have to check to ascertain if pins 1 & 3 are connected at the XLR end. Somehow I doubt it. I'll connect a tone generator to the Cooper input and see what happens at the Cantar end. I didn't notice particularly low levels on the signals; I was able to get adequate signal just by turning the knob on the recorder. I'll revisit the issue with a critical eye.

The cables do (as Scott Harbor points out) need to be shorted at tip & sleeve and then connected to the Cooper "Insert" (not the "Out" connector).

I'll make some checks and report back.

David Waelder

Yes, just to clarify

Tip and Ring soldered together on the TRS plug.

This combined signal goes to pin 2 on the XLR End (HOT)

The Shield goes to Pin 1 on the XLR End (Shield)

Pins 3 and 1 on the XLR end are soldered together

The is correct. I want to emphasize that, for PRE-FADER signals, this 1/4" plug should be plugged into the INSERT jack, not the DIRECT jack.

Glen Trew