Cinela

Richard Ragon

Been looking at the Cinela line of mic mounts lately.  I noticed a fundamental change in the engineering, as they are NOW using rubber mounts, and not the metal rings from before.

A bit on the expensive side, and I only know of one place to buy these, and they have to be ordered. They are on nether the Coffey Site, or ProSound sites, but yet I've seen them in use more than a few times by a few people I admire.

Are they worth it?  Any opinions?

-Richard

Are they worth it?  Any opinions?

For me, yes they are worth every cent.  They are the best mounts for the MKH50 I've used.  I still have the metal looped version, but will change out to the newer rubber rings as needed.  You can replace the old ones with the new without having to buy a new base.

PWP

I own one and love it as well.

I got it as part of a package deal and I doubt I would have picked one up

on its own being so expensive but now that I have it, its been my exclusive mount I use for all interior needs.

It's the metal ringed version.

I have the Cmit version which also works perfect with

the CMC6/cut-1/41 and also the Sanken CS-3e which just so happens are my main 3 mic's.

Marc I have desicribed it in an earlier post here: http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6076.msg47413#msg47413

It is strange, since Jeff´s pic shows the same CMC6MK41QVC I have in use. But I have found the difference makes up for the higher price of the Cinela. I just wanted a shock mount that is just as good as the very expensive Schoeps mic in it.

Matthias

I am not entirely sure what the problem is with so many of the lesser expensive mounts.  While the Cinela looks awesome and is silent, I don't find I get noise from the other mounts I have used (currently the Invision).  What are some boom operators doing out there that makes all this noise on the mics, which would require spending so much money on a mount?  Just curious.

Robert

Hi Marc,

Check this thread out too, for more info on the Invision 7 for Scheops CMC/GVC/41.

http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7990.0

Bernie's suggestion in that thread helps alot to improve the inv7 mount with the CMC/GVC/41 but it still isn't 100%. Its okay but I still get a little handling noise. Being a bag mixer and booming all at the same time (especially on reality shows) means alot of 1 hand/arm booming while riding levels etc with the other.

Repositioning from 2 hands on the boom to 1 during filming equals handling noise but is neccessary to do and unavoidable and a bit of aggressive booming added to the equation causes the inv7 to sway quite a bit even with the grey lyres.

I dont actually use Schoeps for reality TV much at all so its not a huge deal for me and I cant really justify the cost of Cinela.

I mainly use the Schoeps for interviews and the inv7 with grey lyres is fine.

Overall the inv7 is an okay mount for the Schoeps but I wouldn't say great.

Horses for courses I guess. If I was doing commercials and drama'a then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Cinela.

Cheers

Peter Mega

The Cinela mounts hold well and give great isolation. They are expensive, but what adds to the expense is the fact that each model is useable recommended for only one microphone model. The Rycote Invision uses a different looking but similar physics concept to minimize handling noise and is much less expensive, especially when considering that most models are useable for a variety of microphones.

Summary:

Cinela = best, expensive, and microphone-specific.

Rycote Invision = a close second, inexpensive, versatile.

Richard, check here:

http://www.trewaudio.com/cinela/shockmounts/

http://www.trewaudio.com/rycote/invision/

Glen Trew

Got one a couple of years ago and I just ask myself why I didn't get one earlier...

Would not work without it, takes away all handling noise and I can even run pretty fast without having to worry about the mic bouncing in the mount.

Another thing is that it also have a nice short plug for XLR connector that goes out to the side that makes low ceilings easier to work under and keeps the other connector in place .

This topic came up because my sennheiser 8050 that I love for my indoor mic, for some reason became isanely sensitive. To the point where the smallest bumps caused it to cut out.  Not that it can't be held during the takes, but its just annoying.  Some friends have suggested it was the wet weather lately.. perhaps.

I have an inversion, but I'm now thinking about other mounts now.

-Richard

I've got a question for those of you who are using the Cinela Osix mounts: how do you transport the mic and mount?  I'm curious if you need to take any special precautions storing and transporting them because of the wire suspension rings.

I leave mine completely built with the mic still in the mount.  The mics have not come out of the mount in nearly 3 years.  This probably has helped the longevity of the metal loops.  I have a drawer on my follow cart with 2 foam cut outs that the mounts/mics fit.  They come off the pole, with Ambient Quick Release, and go right in the foam slot.  They look pretty much the way they did when I bought them and we use them every day.  Still worth every penny...

PWP

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I would like to know if any of you use the cinela mount for the 416 with a softie. I'm planning to get a cinela and a Koala fluffy. I've read at their site: "The use of standard Softies or Windsocks is possible by accepting a decrease of the firmness." But how much? Is it critical? I'd be better with a K-TEK KSM + Koala combo? This set was highly praised in one the threads here.

I use a Rycote Inv 7 with a CMIT 5u and have never had any handling noise issues (different boom ops). I did once boom with a Cinela mount myself and a CMIT some five years ago and recall it being too wobbly-shaky for my taste. I know others swear by the Cinela mount though. The Invision mount just works too well for me to even think about getting a different one.

+1. Richard.

Have described in another thread the sudden increase in handling noise that proved there are coincidences like two separate boom ops showing up separately, each of their personal poles without the rubber washers that live between the pole and the shock mount...

Replacement of said washers provided insufficient relief from handling noise on the relatively new CMIT5u's. Whatever. Voodoo.

Cinelas and washers all around.

Brilliant.

I keep 'em in the rubber-lidded cases in which they arrived. Think I'll add a piece of foam to keep 'em from rattling around.

We troubleshot part of our handling noise situation to the intersection of Neutrik connector and mic. It moved. Metal to metal. Just enough to be a problem. Cinela solves this with the CMIT by providing it's own connector that fits.

-- Jan

P.S. Speaing of stuff that oughtta be standard and fit, recent ProLife 9V Lithiums arrived and don't fit in Comtek M216 or Lectro IFB's. WTF?

Good question.

Im not sure how the weight of a softie comes into play with the cinela, but I would be interested to know.

A zepplin or pistol grip/softie would be the alternative.

I would like to go and demo a few different mounts (psc,audio-tech,k-tek,rycote invision,cinela) with a few different mics at one of the local sound shops. That way I could make my own personal decision. When I do, I will post results.

~Teo

Ok, I know the cinela is great. But does it perform well with softies or are you talking only of indoor use with a regular foam?

Haven't and probably won't in the near future use the CMIT's outside in their Cinelas. I use the 416's since I had all the wind protection in place and I'm reluctant (still) to use any kind of Schoeps outside. When the 416 wind protection dies, I'll explore the $1000 or so to be able to use 'em outdoors and one presumes they will have been thoroughly field tested for such work by then.

-- Jan

Haven't and probably won't in the near future use the CMIT's outside in their Cinelas. I use the 416's since I had all the wind protection in place and I'm reluctant (still) to use any kind of Schoeps outside. When the 416 wind protection dies, I'll explore the $1000 or so to be able to use 'em outdoors and one presumes they will have been thoroughly field tested for such work by then.

-- Jan

Thoroughly tested, and a big improvement over my 416s. Although I have only used it in dry weather (with some wind). Used Rycote system 4 with and without windjammer. Worth everything I spent on the mics and wind protection. However, I only paid $1500 per mic and $300 per zeppelin (boasting).

Ok, I know the cinela is great. But does it perform well with softies or are you talking only of indoor use with a regular foam?

I've been utility/2nd boom on a show where the Cinela mount is used with two MKH50. One of the mounts has the old metal spring wire and the other has the newer thicker plastic isolator. For regular booming with a typical light weight foam windscreen we usually use the mount with the thin wire suspension, but then we opt for the newer plastic suspension to compensate for the extra weight if we need to add a furry. Both work really well.

I really wish they would make one with an adapter for a zeppelin

Stephane