BBG issues

Michael Panfeld

Hi:  So Rycote makes the baby ball gag in 20 and 22mm versions.  My Schoeps is 21mm - of course.  I have purchased both sizes and neither seems to be a good fit.  The 22 is too loose and the 20 is very tight.  So tight that it takes a long time to remove the Schoeps and, there is a fear that that much force will eventually break something.  Apart from trying Astroglide, what works for you?  Or will the 20mm eventually loosen up as it gets worked.  Thanks 

Hi:  So Rycote makes the baby ball gag in 20 and 22mm versions.  My Schoeps is 21mm - of course.  I have purchased both sizes and neither seems to be a good fit.  The 22 is too loose and the 20 is very tight.  So tight that it takes a long time to remove the Schoeps and, there is a fear that that much force will eventually break something.  Apart from trying Astroglide, what works for you?  Or will the 20mm eventually loosen up as it gets worked.  Thanks

20mm

Thanks Alan.  What can I do to get it to loosen up?

The rubber mount would eventually become a little less rigid over time, but would still be a bit tight after years of using mine.  The setup and breakdown procedure is the same and the BBG must not be straightforwardly inserted as this would cause the rubber mounts to become detached from the main zeppelin basket.  Simply insert your microphone into the BBG hole by twist-and-rotate method as this would greatly ease the process and protect your mic from direct scratches and impact.  Imagine the BBG is your capsule when putting it on, and continuing the same rotation direction for breakdown.  This would not cause the capsule to become loose.  When taking the BBG off from your mic, rotate the same direction as you're putting on a new capsule. Simple.  This would only apply when dealing with the BBG at the front of the mic where your capsule is located.  If you insert and takeoff the BBG from the back of the mic with the XLR pins, you could go either direction.  No more straight ons.