Exercise, workout, etc.

Edmond Smith

Play a lot of freestyle frisbee and learn to body surf. That should build up your Zen mussels. The rest is on the job training. I have heard of people using a pole w a flashlight on the end of it to get into the concept of booming w a mic n its pattern. I also know someone who booms dialog on old movies as he watched. All exercise, whether it be physical or mental or both, is good IMO. Have fun.

CrewC

Play a lot of freestyle frisbee and learn to body surf. That should build up your Zen mussels. The rest is on the job training. I have heard of people using a pole w a flashlight on the end of it to get into the concept of booming w a mic n its pattern. I also know someone who booms dialog on old movies as he watched. All exercise, whether it be physical or mental or both, is good IMO. Have fun.

CrewC

I love Zen mussels with a garlic marinara sauce. It helps to build up my unzen muscles.

Eric

I'm guessing you are doing bag work? Yoga is a definite thing to look in to. Anything that will strengthen your core muscles will help keep your back in line. I have not been to yoga for a while, but it strengthens, stretches and really clears your head. A side effect is a better night's sleep.

I also run, row and ride my bike. That's more just generally wanting to more than needing to for work. The cardio base definitely helps though when the days get long. Most of all, find something you enjoy. It's a great way to clear your head when you are off set.

Personally, I find that moderate (alright, maybe excessive) consumption of alcohol works best for many (if not most situations). Did a lot of yoga back in the day, but after 30+ years of sitting at a cart, getting into a lotus position would be a real achievement....

As mentioned by others, biking is good to (which I can actually still do!)

(Seriously, yoga did help out when I was doing a lot of doc work on the street in my early 20's. It also helped out when faced with stressful situations, such as working in some third world country when you have a gun pointed at you! And, um, if you are single, the social benefits cannot be overlooked)

--Scott

I cross country ski all winter and run trails the rest of the year. If I'm in a hotel I always take the stairs and I try to run just a bit when I'm on set. Its a good diversion from work and gives you time to think about your day. I started running 50 and 100 mile trail races about 10 years ago. The fear of getting too heavy keeps me from eating everything on the craft service table so thats a bonus.

When I mixed Winters Bone I would run from the set to the hotel occasionally.Its very hilly in the Ozarks so that really kept me fit! I also did a movie (On the Ice) in the arctic circle and had to run on a small "track" I made on the frozen Arctic Ocean. If I strayed from the track there was risk of a polar bear attack.

>Yoga is great for your core, posture alignment, and neck and shoulders.  Combine that with another work out regiment like getting a ?>dog, and you'll be ready for anything!  Didn't realize how much great exercise I would get dog walking. And animals keep you centered.

George

I agree, add the dog.

because if my migrant film maker lifestyle I am unable to accept the responsibility of a dog depending on me,

so I'm forced to borrow dogs from neighbors

they are like grandkids

al

Hey, surfing, body surfing...it's all good. And yes, a fantastic workout. Actually, an addiction for me.

Someone said stay away from Reality shows. Why's that?

I have surfed many times over the years, but I am a freak in that I prefer to body surf. Both sports will work one out. BTW. I enjoy this subject as well.

CrewC

>Someone said stay away from Reality shows. Why's that? <

I'm happy you asked.

Carrying 10 wireless receivers, 2- 5 input mixers, 1 multi track HD backup, stereo wireless hop, 2 - NP1's, and comteks plus mixing while booming.

( actual request from network reality show $350/12, use their gear, 1 hour travel each way uncompensated, I quoted Nancy Reagan and just said no )

Our bodies were not designed to do this, you hang all that weight in front of you and the body will attempt to balance it out with hamstring, psoas and back muscles.

Ever sit down after a long day and then have difficulty standing up ?

That's the psoas muscle not being happy.

Reality TV  mixing is great experience for a young mixer and I am not dissing those who do it.

Far from it, it teaches you to trust your intuition and it is a total rush to get it all right on take 1, and it's always take 1.

I am suggesting that you take care of all of the equipment, not just the stuff that runs on DC.

After 12 years of music mixing and 24 years of production sound I have a neck that my chiro says looks more like a strait edge than an arc.

My new hobby is watching clouds go by.

al someone

"However much I am at the mercy of the world I never let myself get lost by brooding over its misery.

I hold firmly to the thought that each one of us can do a little to bring some portion of that misery to an end."

- Albert Schweitzer

• 4 weeks later...