Exercise, workout, etc.

Edmond Smith

Great post guys. I wanted to post a recent change I've made in hopes of encouraging any of you who might want to do the same.

This past holiday season (2011) I realized I was really out of shape. Big time. Now, I've been in pretty good shape before, but it's been ages since I studied martial arts regularly or spent any significant time working out, so on came the pounds. I finally couldn't take it anymore after an incredibly busy December. My body was shot. I literally felt like I needed weeks off to recover from working 12-15 hour bag days for three odd weeks in a row, and I realized that so much of how I was feeling wasn't just because of the hours, it was because I was out of shape.

So I made a vow to start working out and get my body back into shape; actually, to get my body in better shape than I've ever been in before. This was not a New Year's resolution, but just happened to come right around the holiday time. It's also something I've been wanting to do for years, but have kept putting off. After all, it's ass busting work to get back into shape. Really.

Cut to: January 21, 2012. I've lost six (6) pounds and it's still coming off. My body feels amazing and I'm building muscle fast. I'm lifting heavier weights each time I go to the gym, my clothes are getting big on me and my gut is shrinking. Plus, my days doing bag work are getting easier by the day. So much so that I can't believe I ever did this work without working out regularly.

So after reading everyone's posts above, I realized we should all (guys and gals) be encouraging each other as often as possible to stay in shape. Not just for work, although it's really helping, but because it's just plain healthy to exercise.

Get to the gym. Get to the racquetball court. Get to the beach and bodysurf, or any equivalent fun thing that you will keep doing like many have mentioned above.

You won't regret it.

8)

Whatever happened to Squash??? Nobody seems to do that anymore do they?

I used to. I don't have a place to play anymore. Then again, my sister had some wretched knee injuries from squash that required surgery.

I just did a film that was all at one location. A huge 100 year old house in the Philly suburbs. The pool wasn't open (December in PA), but the tennis court and basketball hoops were. Nothing like a film crew playing tennis every time we got kicked out of the house for "Director's rehearsals" and post lunch fun.