Denecke TS-C

G$

Hi Everyone...I purchased two Denecke TS-C slates in May of '06. Recently they have been giving me and camera fits. What happens is they try to re-jam themselves. Sometime several times each day, sometime never. I Can't take it any longer. Has anyone out there had problems with these small slates?.

Mine tended to "loose" time code.  The 2 A/C would run over and foist it at me saying "I don't know why this keeps loosing time code"  A code 29 would be displayed.  For the next few hours I was careful to watch her to see what it was she wasn't doing.  What she wasn't was careful with it.  The battery door would slide open with her rough handling and the TC would be lost.  After asking her to be more careful with the slate and taping the battery door closed I haven't had any more troubles.

Thanks Jeff. I've watched over camera like a hawk and I haven't seen any ruffer treatment with the small slates than with the larger TS-3 slates. I also own 4 TS-3s and never had any such problems with them.

This seems to happen so intermittently I can't figure it out. I've had them both at Deneke and of course they never lost sync while they had em. Some days they work great and some days I'll have to re-jam 2-4 times.

Q: Do you think my time code source would make any difference?

G$$

I doubt the source would matter.  Any slate either accepts the jam or doesn't.  So once you pull out the cable and the timecode is running, then the slate's on its own.  I have only used the TS-C slate a few times, and did not notice any issues.  Does it drift, or does it reset to the default 58min timecode?  The TS2 will reset when dropped or knocked over.  I have not had issue with the two TS3 I own, other than the AC turning them off when they mean to adjust the brightness, and not saying anything.

If the battery door is loose enough on your TS-C to open during handling, then perhaps the batteries are not seated tightly either, which will cause reset.  I use energizer rechargeables in my slates, and since they are very slightly larger than procell alkalines, it makes for a tighter fit.

I doubt the source would matter either. Like some of you old school guys out there, I've been using Denecke slates since the mid 80s and have never been stumped like this. I will try to use "EverReady" batteries instead of Pro-Cells. Maybe that's the fix.

Thanx for the input!

Guest Eric Lamontagne

I've had problems with my TS-C as well. Similar to yours. After upgrading the entire chassi the unit now performs flawlessly. I believe that the spring tension/battery door was the issue (that and a mild bit of abuse).

By the way, anyone want to purchase my one year old TS-C?

ericatacmesounddotnet

I've had similar problems with my TS-2. I put some foam in the battery compartment like Phil, and it seemed to solve the problem. I think the camera assistant on one shoot was probably the problem. By the way, some years ago I had a camera assistant change the batteries in my slate (a TS-2) without telling me, and put a couple of them in backwards. Very bad. There was leakage. Several years later, a boom op did the same thing to the same (repaired) slate. Much foul language was involved. Watch out for this problem with Denecke slates

Chris Newton

I don't know if the TS-C uses the same type of battery sled as the TS-3, but I've had issues with TS-3's acting up because there was a problem with the battery sled. Hard to track down, but fixed by a trip to the local parts store for less than $3.00.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again,

I just got word that maybe, just maybe, the TS-C will reset itself if a "walkie" is "keyed" too close to the slate. If anyone can check this scenario out on set it would be greatly appreciated:-)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I had this problem also over the last several weeks with a brand new TS-C. The reason the slate is resetting itself is because of walkie talkies. Certain frequencies blocks will cause the slate to reset itself when a walkie talkie is held 14inches or closer to the the slate. I finally helped Charlie at Denecke with this. I believe he has a fix for this now. Check with Denecke

Whit Norris

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I had this problem also over the last several weeks with a brand new TS-C. The reason the slate is resetting itself is because of walkie talkies. Certain frequencies blocks will cause the slate to reset itself when a walkie talkie is held 14inches or closer to the the slate. I finally helped Charlie at Denecke with this. I believe he has a fix for this now. Check with Denecke

Whit Norris

I really wish I didn't miss this thread. Today, we were reviewing takes from the prior day's work. I was working at the Aquarium in town on the surface and the camera was below, shooting through the monster glass. I was tapped into the scuba gear on the surface. Handed off the TS-C after jamming, and we were off. Started out O.K., but by the 6th shot the code reset itself. According to my TOD TC, it was lunchtime! With no video to see, I couldn't tell the code changed. Didn't think it would. Until today!!! Thankfully you can't see the actors lips moving and everything will be fine, but scared me none-the-less. Off to Denecke it goes! There goes that rental!

Just to confirm Whit's statement. A walkie does re-set the TS-C. I tripped mine 6 times testing it out. But it had to be right up next to the display in order to do it. None-the-less, it happened everytime.

But, I learned that my issues were PA related and not Walkie related. The PA admitted that the batteries sleeve "shot" out of the slate. When the Grip handed it to her. She put it back in and, it turned back on. "Thought it was working fine"(as I banged my head on the table). They even proceeded to tell me, "Everyone else saw it, thought if something was wrong they would know better than me!" Urgh! But I get my rental now........

Hello Everyone,

This is just to confirm that yes indeed, the TS-C resets when a Walkie is keyed in close proximity to it (about 1ft or less). Keep in mind that it is frequency dependent (400MHz range) so not every walkie will reset it. We have a fix for it so anyone experiencing this problem, or simply don't want to take the chance, can send it in to us.

I'd like to publicly thank Whit Norris for helping me pin point the problem and Larry Fisher (Lectrosonics) for sharing his insights on taming the RF demons!

Best Regards,

Charlie Parra

Denecke, Inc.

I don't have one of these slates and have not experienced this issue.

But I would really like to thank Charlie Parra of Denecke for coming on to *this* forum to give us this information.

My hat is off to you as a fine example of a proactively communicative manufacturer!

-Darren Brisker

Hi Sergio,

No RA# is necessary. Simply send a note with it with your contact info and what you like us to do (in this case mention that you require the RF mod). There is no charge for this. Also please note that as we get these slates in for regular maintenance etc, we will be perform the mod as well.

Darren thanks for the kind words. We pride ourselves on customer service. If there is an issue with any of our products we make every effort to correct it.

Best Regards,

Charlie Parra

Denecke, Inc.