Scotch (and others) drinkers!!

RPSharman

Bowmore Isle, The GlenLivet, Glenmorangie make some nice ones aged in Sherry/Port/Wine casks, 17 or 21 year old Ballantines(it is a blend), Strathisla, Loch Lomond 21yr old, or a Glenfiddich. But thats just looking at my collection : ) The spoils of lots of overseas travel.

Im assuming you are looking for Single Malt Scotch Whiskey?

It's all a matter of taste and price. No offense but Johnny Walker Blue is considered over priced, but if that's what you like and can afford it, why not.

Perhaps this might help: http://www.maltmadness.com/malt-whisky/best-whisky.html

I'm a Laphroaig fan. The 18 year old is about $90 or so...

Glenmorangie 18 year is pretty nice IMO.  When selecting a single malt, you really can think along the lines of either a "honey" scotch (like the Glens) or a peaty scotch like the Laphroaig.  I personally like the honeyed ones, but I know some serious scotch drinkers who prefer the peaty ones...

-Greg-

Thanks for the link, Richard.  I had found that, but thought it to be a bit long and confusing, so I came here.  Long and confusing too.

I do drink Scotch, and I hope to share a bit of this bottle with the recipient.  I have not stepped beyond the basic 12-year-old single malt, waiting for that special moment I suppose.  The Glenlivet is my go to, but I've had Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich and Glenrothes.  The Glenrothes was very nice.  I've had the Johnny Walker Green and Gold, and honestly don't find it that much better than the Black.  This is why I think I am steering away from the blended varieties, but the packaging of the Usquaebach is unique.

As this is a gift for someone else, I suppose that I am trying to offer something unique as opposed to an effortless $150 bottle of Scotch.  But I don't want the taste to be sacrificed.

All of your advice is well-taken.  Thank you.

Has anyone tried The McCallen Fine Oak varieties? 

Robert

For some unique suggestions from an independent taster, you should check out Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible. It's a yearly awards book, but you can see a short bullet form of his top picks by category on his web site at:

http://www.whiskybible.com/2011whiskybibleawards.htm

Ifyou want something really different, there's a category for best Japanese whiskey, and even a suggestion for an Indian whiskey.

Stephane

...and now for some duty free JW Black for myself

If you want something really different, there's a category for best Japanese whiskey, and even a suggestion for an Indian whiskey.

Stephane

...and now for some duty free JW Black for myself

I have had some Japanese whiskey, a gift from my boom operator a couple of movies ago.  I was very nice and unique.  That might be a way to go.

Robert

The two Scotch whiskeys which seem to make the top of ever list are Highland Park 18 and Laphroaig 15.  Talisker is up there a lot too.

Great topic! 

You won't go wrong with the McCallen Fine Oak varieties, they have a great smooth off axis, but do tend to increase the sibilance tolerance level after 3 or 4.

Look out for the cheaper blended ones, they have severe handling issues in most environment's especially windy ones.

[table][tr][td][img alt=Bruichladdich 12 year old Second Edition 70cl height=125 width=100]http://www.laddieshop.com/acatalog/12_2.jpg Ref: w312secondcorerw

Our Second Edition of the 12 Year Old

The unusually tall, narrow-necked stills produce a refined floral, and fruity spirit. Distilled Matured & Bottled at Bruichladdich Distillery on Islay. Non chill filtered and colouring free for a fuller flavour. Hand-crafted by Master Distiller Jim McEwan. Traditional - matured in bourbon casks. Flavours of warm vanilla, mellow oak and soft exotic fruits.

Price:  £36.50 (Including: VAT at 20%)[/td][/tr][/table]

http://www.bruichladdich.com/

The Bruichladdich is worth a try.

It is more distinctive than the Glenmorangie in that it is a bit warmer though still smooth of course. (Have one on shelf currently).

The Glenmorangie is honeyish slightly and soft.

15 year old Glenfiddich is ok but over priced and not as good as the Bruichladdich in my opinion. (Had a bottle of each for my 40th.)

Laphoig is popular but it is very peaty and antiseptic tasting which might be a bit much if you are not expecting it.

Tobermory I like but is less distinctive than Bruichladdich.

Then of course there are hundreds maybe of others.

Johnny Walker.... not really.

I like a Benadictine and then a  Drambuie to get started with and then a tour of the single malts... It's becoming a bit of a habit!

I love Makers Mark, i know it is not scotch...

Me too!  It's what I keep in the trailer for a little after work toast.

But I think the solution here is to buy the highly recommended Laphroaig AND a MacCallen Fine Oak, then decide which one to give away and which one to drink myself.

Thanks to all,

Robert

If you'd like to try something different check out Compass Box whiskys, for a high end "artisan, bespoke" whisky.

http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/home.html

They have some modern ideas, and are not popular with all traditional whisky manufacturers and fans. They've got names like "Peat Monster", "Spice Tree" and "Hedonism"...

I had a great time a few years ago making a corporate film for them up in beautiful Speyside, There's an abundance of distilleries, and we were eating Scottish venison and drinking whisky cocktails made by one the best mixologists in the UK. Good combination!

Oh yes, I do love Scotch, when I can afford it, which hasn't been for a couple of years now.  I do keep a "cheap" bottle of Glenlivet around on occasion.  The "Peachy" variety is probably a safer gift choice.  I do prefer the "Peaty" type myself, but have had some tastes which don't agree with me, seems to ride a fine line of taste and discomfort depending on how that taste swerves over the threshold.

On a different topic, any Single Malt Gin drinkers here?  I had never heard of such a beast, until my brother-baby-momma-in-law gave me a bottle as a gift from The Netherlands.  It was quite tasty and definitely something different (for me).