Scotch (and others) drinkers!!

RPSharman

I love Makers Mark, i know it is not scotch...

Ah Makers Mark. I kept a flask of that in my coat pocket during the winters in Chicago when I was in college. People thought I was some sort of lush, but it did help keep me warm....and helped with some of the boring classes, but put me to sleep during art history.

I got to visit the Highland Park distillery a few years ago in the Orkney Islands on a shoot and it's my favourite.  Rich and Peaty.  The 18 year old is the one I like best.  Mellower and more flavorful than the 12 year old, which is a little more fiery.  The 21 year old imo, just tastes older and a little tireder ( is that a word?) - not necessarily worth the extra cost...

cheers,

Brent C

C'mon guys, this is a bit like the French inventing perfume because they had too.  Scotch is a beverage brewed from a grass.  All the fine distilling and aging and bottling, can't overcome its humble origins.  Try something that begins with something a bit more exotic.... like an agave cactus....

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/anejos/don-julio-1942-tequila-anejo.html

Exchange the bag pipes for a bit of mariachi and enjoy life ;-)

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Oh, Billy Billy Billy... Gin & tonics were created out of necessity (disinfectant and flavoring), but I sure to love to sit down with a lovely G&T every now and then.  Or last night, as the case may be. Cascade Mountain, sold exclusively in Oregon, but kindly delivered by a friend who travels to Oregon regularly.

:-)

Couldn't resist :-)  Hmmmm, Saturday evening, had an early dinner with my folks and sisters... back home, no driving, I see an agave nectar in my VERY near future...  btw, Cascade Mountain, scotch? beer? as good as Montana Moose Drool?

signing off

Billy

I enjoy many/most of the non sound discussions here @ jwsound. This one is cool for many reasons/levels to me. I seldom drink hard alcohol, but have tried them all. I am more of a Craft Brew/Wine type. I enjoy Tequila now n again. Herradura Anejo most often. My main philosophy about putting toxic potions into my body to get a relaxation/buzz/chill/elevation, is to buy the best. Don't over do it. Live to enjoy another day.

CrewC

Well said, Crew.  I suppose this thread makes several of us seem like total boozers.  But I also do not drink often or in quantity.  Quality in small amounts is a perfect way to enjoy.  I like good wine too, and am veering away from my go-to Shiner Bock and Newcastle, and am exploring specialty brews.  The idea of a high-end tequila is intriguing. Perhaps I can get some suggestions?

I enjoy many/most of the non sound discussions here @ jwsound. This one is cool for many reasons/levels to me. I seldom drink hard alcohol, but have tried them all. I am more of a Craft Brew/Wine type. I enjoy Tequila now n again. Herradura Anejo most often. My main philosophy about putting toxic potions into my body to get a relaxation/buzz/chill/elevation, is to buy the best. Don't over do it. Live to enjoy another day.

CrewC

I also agree with Crew, I left those days long ago.  But enjoy having tipple with my close friends and family.  Whisky with an editor mate of mine, rum with another soundie mate, cognac with my dad, and port with my fiance. I little knowledge of tequila but have tried 1890(I think that is the name) as a sipping tequila and quite liked that one.

Don't mean to keep the thread "evolving" but anyone brew their own beer? My logo to the left is part of the logo my family and I use for our brand called Deutscher Bier. Must say, it's much cheaper and more rewarding to brew your own beer. Have a porter fermenting in the 2nd carboy right now. If anyone from SF Bay Area likes home brews, get in touch with me and I'll let you sample it.

I enjoy meandering conversations and threads evolving when they are non sound related and as open to opinion or POV's as this topic. I have always thought about brewing my own beer. Seems like a fun/interesting endeavor. Some day I will get around to it. Until then, Cheers as RVD would say.

CrewC

Don't mean to keep the thread "evolving" but anyone brew their own beer? My logo to the left is part of the logo my family and I use for our brand called Deutscher Bier. Must say, it's much cheaper and more rewarding to brew your own beer. Have a porter fermenting in the 2nd carboy right now. If anyone from SF Bay Area likes home brews, get in touch with me and I'll let you sample it.

Pete, my respect for you just jumped up many percent. 

phil p

lol, I did until I blew up a batch I had just bottled.  I was starting to get good at it so I tried to double the size of my batch.  Doubled the yeast and sugar too.  3 weeks later, kaboom.  I never found the first bottle that blew, it disintegrated.  It was a nerve wracking job 'defusing' the other 99 bottles.

But sorry I'm not in the Bay area, I'd love to sample your latest!

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Pete, my respect for you just jumped up many percent. 

phil p

Ditto, massive respect to the home brewers, I just spent the day with a cameraman with a micro-brewery, both dreaming of starting our own craft beer businesses!

I love a strong, hoppy IPA, in fact we finished up the shoot quaffing some local ales around Twickenham, oh yes!!

My boom operator on upcoming series brews his own beer.  I am looking forward to samples.  It's become his new hobby.

It's a fun hobby to pick up. And there's no wrong way to make beer. I take recipes all the time and add more of this, less of that all the time. And Tim, I make a mean double hopped IPA that's killer. Hit me up next time you're in the Bay. Phil, if you're a beer drinker or like to try some, maybe you, me and Keenan can meet up for a tasting.

I haven't tried mostof the ones mentioned, but when I visited Scotland a few years ago I picked up some Dahlwinnie, and Balvenie(pretty sure I murdered the spellings).  They're both quite good.  Bought a bottle of the Dalwhinnie for the guys at PSS for the holidays.  I don't think it lasted more then a few days.  I also got a small bottle of Edradour.  If I remember correctly it's aged for an odd number of years compared to the regular aging time, something like 15 years.  I think this one is a bit harder to find in the States.  I bought a smaller bottle that was quite pricey, so I can only imagine what 750ml or larger would be.  I think I'm gonna have to take some bottles out of the cabinet and make use of my collection.

Jason Hemmerlin