Silent members

Darren

I should have done this on the 1st day I joined this net.

My name is Brian Shennan,been in the film and TV business since 1965,based in Wellington New Zealand,credits on over 50 feature films(see imdb.com),was instrumental in introducing Dolby Stereo to NZ in 1984.I'm a freelance production sound mixer and do mainly doco work now.

I enjoy lecturing in sound at the NZ film school occasionally and am willing to pass on my skills and knowledge to anyone who is interested.I have travelled to some remote locations doing docos,the last being to Mongolia.One of the things we do down here that benefits all the sound people is,we get together and put all our best wireless rig ideas forward and discuss their merits.This has been hugely successful and more are planned.We also have an active Wellington audio association that meets each month whose membership spans all areas of sound.We all gain from listening to presentations from our own members and many well known guest speakers.

The free flow of information has been great.

My congratulations to Jeff for this forum.Its a big help to everyone wanting to extend their knowledge.

Best Regards to the group,

Brian (BVS)

Thanks, Brian (Brian Shennan) for telling us a little bit about yourself --- and welcome (now that we know who you are). I personally really like hearing from people working in other countries. Just like travel of any sort, it helps widen our view of things (otherwsie, as I am sure you know, we slip into that "we do it this way... it has to be the only way" sort of thinking).

As you probably know, I have a special affection for New Zealand having spent over 5 months there on "The Last Samurai".

Nice to have on board.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Thanks Jeff for the welcome.Yes I'm aware of your time down here on Last Samurai and I believe the crew enjoyed their time at some of the beaches,cafes etc.in NP.We have a mutual friend and colleague in Mike Westgate who has often helped me over the years.

Best Wishes and I'll be a regular visitor from now on.

Brian

Hey Brian welcome to Jeffs site, I also love hearing where members come from and what type of work they do,etc. I also understand not posting and just lurking and learning. This is an ackward way of communicating for many, me included, it takes a while to feel a comfort level in posting. This is a friendly joint to hang out, so please all you visitors out there, say hi and whatever else you feel comfortable in revealing, I don't think we've had a flame war,(whatever that is) since I joined, which was near the beggining. Have a great summer day in New Z.

CrewC

Thanks for your welcome CrewC.Look forward to exchanging views.For many years we developed in isolation downunder and made all the common mistakes and just learnt by trial and error.But with the advent of the internet and it's ever increasing refinements its made it possible to access this massive database instantly from anywhere.You can also make good friends too.

Brian

Hey all,

I'm not sure why I don't censor myself and my thoughts more , err but I don't.

David Barr Yaffe made the newsgroup RAMPS and as a puter head I signed on early and enjoyed the free flowing info that everyone shared. I never really cared or thought I should listen more and post less =)

John Coffey, Glen Trew and Jeff Wexler really stand out as the most involved and informative folks on RAMPS in the 90's. I really can appreciate their opinions as they helped me form my own and were always very helpful to me and many others.

As far as lurkers, I do go into spells of reading and not posting as we get involved in jobs and life and feel there is little we can contribute to the conversation. Do not be shy, we're a bunch of sound guys for gods sake. We share a passion known only to us.

I also would like again to thank Jeff for this site. I really only read here nowdays. Good job sir.

LL

O.K. I'm definitely a silent lurker on this group.

My name is Glen Piegari and I am based in Richmond Virginia.

I have been more active in a few other news groups in the past,

but currently only read/post on RAMPS and read here.

(What happened to all the chatter on the C.A.S. board?)

My work is primarily documentary, commercial, and corporate.

I'm an over-the-shoulder 442/744t recordist.

I'm happy to speak up.  Thanks for the encouragement.

I do enjoy the active boards, so I should do my part.

Kind regards,

Glen

Another lurker here.

I'm Sonny Wingler, and I'm based out of Chevy Chase, MD, although I've never worked in my own home market.

I'm pretty new to all of this, having done a few independent films and CMT's "Trick My Truck."  You can check out my imdb here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1858410/.  With the second season of that in the can, and a third still up in the air, I'm trying to finally make some local inroads.

So far I've been pretty much self taught, so there's a lot I've yet to learn.  Hence much of the lurking.  Hopefully this year I can also hook up with some other D.C. area (or anywhere else, for that matter) mixers who could use a hand so I can pick up some of those finer points.  Any takers?

I'll try to do better about chiming in when I have something of value to contribute.

Thanks for the venue.

Hey Sonny! I don't know if you remember me, I visited Trick My Truck for some Mike's Hard Lemonade promos last year. We were a small crew from Nashville, TN. Well good to see you on here. Hope you are doing well.

Coincidently, this is my first time posting on this forum as well. So hello everyone! I would like to contribute more, but most of the time I don't have a lot to say! Maybe I can try asking questions...

I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts every day. Thanks for some great info.

Alex Altman

Nashville, TN

He there, My name is Pascal Van Strydonck and i live in Montreal, Quebec.  I have been reading this forum for the past 1 year and learned a lot from it.  I was formerly a live sound engineer in Las Vegas for the past 10 years ( Cirque du Soleil shows. ).  I have been recording wild sound effects for the past 20 years and decided to go back home and change my carreer orientation to location sound recordist.  I, now, do TV shows ( french and english ) mostly for HGTV channel.  I am loving the new job and always look forward to go work.  Things are interresting over here with the weather, there is nothing like shooting for 3 hours outside when it's -25 celsius.  Cables get to be almost solid steel and body shivers which translate into boompole noise and rumble.  Any of you have tricks on cold shoots?  I have already changed my NP-1 Nimh to Lithium ion batteries.  Anyhow, thanks for all the info you guys are giving and will try to contribute in the futur.

Thank you

Pascal

This site is really good for everyone. silent or active, we all gain from this newsgroup.

sometimes it is hard for me to post my thoughts because I do work for a Vendor in Los Angeles. and I really don't want my posts to be viewed as "advertisements" or promotional value of any kind. I have been in the film industry for 20 years now. (13 in production (ad/upm) & 7 as a sound vendor) with 2 of the houses out here.  when I was on set I always hung out with and bonded with the sound team, it was the one dept (besides makeup) I always felt comfortable with.

I love working in the rental dept. and interacting with every type of sound mixer you could imagine, from a-list academy award winners, to the indie mixer and every one in between. I learn everday what  mic you choose to use for your particular application

and what recorders and wireless you like and why you like them.  I use this knowledge to pass on to other mixers. I really appreciate all the advice, input and stories from everyone

I "file" this info away and have fun on the way.

p.s.

to all the silent or observer members, please ask those questions. the only "stupid questions" are the ones not asked.

sincerely,

Frank S.

Hey kids.

I'm a freelance production mixer here in sunny Portland, Oregon. Mostly I do industrials, docs, local commercials, and some reality TV. On nights and weekends, I do short films and the occasional DV feature, both production and post. In my spare time, I write a blog about sound for film and TV, http://syncsoundcinema.blogspot.com.

And, well, there you have it. :)

Thanks,

Christian

Hi guys,

I am not really Silent but I don't think I have introduced myself to the Group. My name is Whitney Ince I sometimes go by Whit I am a young guy who has always had an interest in Sound. I work mostly in the Southeast Ga, FL SC doing Reality Tv shows, Doc's and some Corporate videos with the occasionally Indie Feature. I am also currently finishing my Masters Thesis on Field Recording and Location sound. I have spoken with many of you via phone and email it has been very helpful. If anyone is ever in the Southeast and needs help with anything feel free to ask. 

• 4 weeks later...