What to look for in headphones?

Edmond Smith

I am using Shure, I think, 226s or something rather, but the wire keeps failing on me so I have to get it replaced at customer service over and over. I am looking for good field/listening over ear headphones with high durability because I am always listening to music and the wire needs to be able to withstand my routines.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I use......

The Sony 7506s are hard to beat for the price. Cheap enough that you can replace them pretty regularly.

The Sennheiser HD-25 Mk2 cost more, but are modular so you can easily replace worn out cables etc. They are smaller, but clamp tight on your head.

The Remote Audio HN-7506 are one of those things that when you need them, they can't be beat. RA takes the drivers from 7506s and puts them in what looks like helicopter pilot housing. I use them a lot on a film set when I get put outside a house (for example). I need the improved isolation to know if the noise is being heard in the house, or just bleeding past my headphones outside. They are also fantastic to use in really loud environments so you don't have to crank your volume. You can pretty much turn them off during down time and they work as hearing protectors.

I'm still looking for an in-ear solution for those applications where I need something different. Long story, but there are a few cases where they would be great.

Type Circumaural, closed-back

Frequency Range 10 Hz - 20 kHz

Impedance 63 Ohms

Sensitivity 104dB SPL/mW

Maximum Input Power 1000 mW

Connectors 1/8" stereo mini-jack, with 1/8" to 1/4" TRS phono adapter

Cable Length 10' (3 m)

Weight 7.8 oz (221 g)

Type Closed-Back, Around-Ear, Dynamic

Frequency Range 5Hz - 40kHz

Impedance 24 Ohms

Sensitivity 108dB

Maximum Input Power 2000mW

Connectors Gold-Plated 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug with 1/4" Adapter

Cable Length 9.8' (2.97 m)

Weight 9.2 oz (261g)

And if you want to get fancy. I tried these out In Japan a few months ago, Simply fantastic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

SONY 7520 made of Magnesium (their new Flagship) $450 ouch

TypeClosed-Back, Around-Ear,

Dynamic

Frequency Range5Hz - 80kHz

Impedance24 Ohms

Sensitivity108dB

Maximum Input Power4000mW

ConnectorsGold-Plated 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug with 1/4" Adapter

Cable Length9.8' (2.97 m)

Weight9.5 oz (269g)

" Frequency Range    5Hz - 40kHz "

" Frequency Range    5Hz - 80kHz "

suitable for whales and bats!!

very few adult humans can hear much all the way from 20 to 20,ooo Hz !!

almost no real world audio equipment covers those extreme ranges either

BTW, Sony does not actually manufacture many of their drivers, a number of them are built by...

...an arm of the parent corporation of...

Fostex

BTW, Sony does not actually manufacture many of their drivers, many are built by...

Fostex

I've got no problem with over engineering, or whales for that matter (it's the bats you've got to watch out for) lol.

I recently did a hearing frequency test and my girlfriend was in the room I could hear the 19k tone but not the 20k. She couldn't hear above the 15k!, I guess its good i'm the sound mixer of the family :-).

I recently did a hearing frequency test and my girlfriend was in the room I could hear the 19k tone but not the 20k. She couldn't hear above the 15k!, I guess its good i'm the sound mixer of the family :-).

well, that's nice... but has no value unless you know the SPL of the tones you are listening to.

What's is more important is the 3-4k area......how is your 4k notch?

After a very long run Sony is replacing the 7506's. The 7510's not available yet but should be in a few months.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758126-REG/Sony_MDR_7510_MDR_7510_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

sure of your statement? I do not really want to stop using 7506 and really love them, one of the things I like is its ability to fold for use in the bag

" Frequency Range    5Hz - 80kHz "

almost no real world audio equipment covers those extreme ranges either

I was thinking the same thing

sure of your statement? I do not really want to stop using 7506 and really love them, one of the things I like is its ability to fold for use in the bag

Well, it's meant as a replacement but I doubt they would stop production of the 7506's. But i'm no sony rep so I don't know for sure. Yes, losing foldability would be a big downside for me as well.

Keep in mind that most headphones have very similar response specs published (20-20K), even though they sound very different from one model to the next and from one person to the next.

So much has to do with the design of the enclosure, the pads, position of the drivers, how tight they fit against the head, plus the shape of the ears listening to them.

To achieve the most accurate monitoring with headphones, different people may - and sometimes should - choose different headphones. The little difference that remains is adjusted by the brain.

Glen Trew

The Sony MDR-7506 are way more expensive here in Europe than there in the U.S.A. (but the street price has lowered in the last 2/3 years). Anyway they are still (only) 50 euros cheaper then the Senheiser HD-25 and 20/30 euros more expensive then the Sennheiser HD-280. I owned 2 pairs of 7506s, imho, they're good but the Senn HD-25 are way better (i mean, way more accurate).

I also would agree that headphones are maybe the most personal piece of the equipment: i strongly recommend to try by yourself which one are the most adequate.