For those of you sending sound to video cameras...

Simon Paine

I've noticed on the newer Sony and Panasonic 900's, that there is a SDI output on the back. The DOP on my last shoot was telling me that it can output Picture, Timecode and audio down the coax cable. Is anyone using this output to receive audio Timecode and picture ? If so, what kind of devices are there that can receive and output the TC, Audio and Pic ? IE, to feed my recorder with TC, My monitor with picture, and my mixer with audio return.

I guess i was hoping a "break out box" of some kind would exist that could split up those signals and allow them to be useful for us. I wonder what length of cable that signal would be able to travel ?

I also forgot to mention, that the camera seemed to have the option of outputing SD-SDI and HD-SDI.

A workflow that seems to be coming up more often for me these days, is hardwired audio to Camera. But get the time code signal from the camera (because they love rec run TC) to trigger my 744t recorder , for the iso tracks.

It seems to work pretty well. But I was hoping to thin up my snakes by combining Audio return, TC and even Picture to one BNC.